• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Around Here

cparsons

Hey I am new to this site and this is my first post, but was hoping to get some advice. First, a little background info on me.

I graduated out of high school and received a full NROTC scholarship to the University of Colorado. However, I was not wanting to go there since I lived in Tennessee and bled UT orange. My parents pretty much pressured me into going there. Long story short, I blew it out there. Ironically, now I am at UT and am looking to get back into the Navy. Seeing as how UT doesn't have a NROTC program I am looking into going to OCS. I am still undeclared at this point but realize I have to declare by next semester. After an abysmal first semester (.69 GPA) I have managed to raise it to a 2.6ish cumulative since then and am continuing to raise it.

Just wondering what type of advice you guys could give me, like what would be some good degrees to try to earn. Also, does the navy look hard into what type of major I have when deciding to take me? I was engineering for awhile, but did not care for it. I haven't completely crossed it out, but don't want to go into it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Clayton

balt

argh
Just wondering what type of advice you guys could give me, like what would be some good degrees to try to earn. Also, does the navy look hard into what type of major I have when deciding to take me? I was engineering for awhile, but did not care for it. I haven't completely crossed it out, but don't want to go into it.

Whatever you are interested in and can make good grades in to get your GPA up.

I believe a few of the designators require a semester of calculus, but for most part you can major in whatever you want so you should pick something that interests you or something that could be useful if the Navy doesn't work out.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Focus on your grades, and study something you're interested in. A 2.6ish doesn't look very good for BDCP, but if you keep working it, you could get accepted later, or get an OCS only contract.

What designator are you interested in? The only two designators I can think of off the bat that have academic requirements are nuke (2 sem of calc and calc based physics) and the CEC (engineering degree, which, doesn't look like something you want to do).

kirtap

Not to take over the thread or anything, but why'd you blow it out there? I will be going to Boulder next year on the NROTC scholarship. What was it like? Did you like the program overall? And what was the freshmen orientation like? Sorry for the side track.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
The only two designators I can think of off the bat that have academic requirements are nuke (2 sem of calc and calc based physics) and the CEC (engineering degree, which, doesn't look like something you want to do).

I'm pretty sure Crypto also needs a year of Calc-based physics, but that's it.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
You definitely have a chance, though. If you can get your GPA up a little, and then study your butt off for the ASTB and smoke it, that'll look good for the BDCP people.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
One other thing that you're going to have to do is come up with an awesome motivational statement. The Navy is going to really want to know why they should let you in when you already had one shot and blew it so spectacularly. (.69 GPA?!?! Were you in a coma?)

Sorry, I know that sounds harsh but they've got a lot of guys trying for the same spot and they're going to want guarantees that you're not going to piss away their money again.

edit: back to your original question, I assume you want to fly (this being AIRwarriors and all). My class in primary included guys with degrees ranging from aerospace engineering to music theory to farm management. We even had one famous soul with a psych degree who went to 7 different schools over the course of 9 years before getting his degree. So major in what you want.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor

I graduated out of high school and received a full NROTC scholarship to the University of Colorado. However, I was not wanting to go there since I lived in Tennessee and bled UT orange. My parents pretty much pressured me into going there. Long story short, I blew it out there. Ironically, now I am at UT and am looking to get back into the Navy. Seeing as how UT doesn't have a NROTC program I am looking into going to OCS. I am still undeclared at this point but realize I have to declare by next semester. After an abysmal first semester (.69 GPA) I have managed to raise it to a 2.6ish cumulative since then and am continuing to raise it.

Don't worry too much, you've still got an opportunity to distinguish yourself. The most important thing you can do right now is choose a major you will want to make good grades in. You are in better shape than you think because you don't have that many hours, so bringing your GPA up shouldn't take too long

After two years of being a music major, I sucked hardcore enough to basically get dismissed from school with a GPA of about 1.5. I spent a year taking correspondence courses to bring my GPA up enough to get back into school, taught myself calculus from a text book, changed my major to physics, worked at a sub-shop to survive since I lost my scholarships, and then made straight As for three years as a physics major, bringing my GPA up to 3.0.

Although I'm not anticipating making straight As this semester, I should still graduate with a GPA above 3.0, and I got selected for SNA, perhaps due to good test scores and a decent essay explaining how "overcoming adversity" had helped me to mature and grow as a person (but who knows, really?)

Anyway, the points are, you're still young and have time to distinguish yourself, and school will go a lot faster and be a TON easier if you choose a subject that you actually WANT to study. For me it is physics because my brain just likes physics, but it could be something else for you.

Hope that helps.

cparsons

Not to take over the thread or anything, but why'd you blow it out there? I will be going to Boulder next year on the NROTC scholarship. What was it like? Did you like the program overall? And what was the freshmen orientation like? Sorry for the side track.

Yes, the program out there was excellent. I really wish I hadn't blown it. They are really big on physical excellence out there, and are generally speaking (at least according to them) known as one of the top NROTC programs in the nation.

Also, as for the freshman orientation, it isn't mandatory, but you should go. It is great for bonding. It isn't an easy week, but then again, it is only a week. You'll be fine.

cparsons

I have already taken and made B's in Calc 1&2 and also in Physics. So I know I have those out of the way. So I guess you guys answered me in the fact that as long as my GPA is high, which it should be close to a 3.0 by the end of this semester, then the major doesn't matter as much. Just do what I would otherwise take?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I have already taken and made B's in Calc 1&2 and also in Physics. So I know I have those out of the way. So I guess you guys answered me in the fact that as long as my GPA is high, which it should be close to a 3.0 by the end of this semester, then the major doesn't matter as much. Just do what I would otherwise take?

Yes. Others may disagree, but my advice is do not make life harder than it needs to be by trying to major in something you hate studying just because the Navy says it likes technical degrees.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Yes. Others may disagree, but my advice is do not make life harder than it needs to be by trying to major in something you hate studying just because the Navy says it likes technical degrees.

Excellent advice. Remember that if the Navy doesn't pan out for you, you'll be stuck with whatever degree you get so it should be something you enjoy. Don't base all of your decisions on the Navy. It would really suck to end up as an engineer who hates physics or math.