• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Chopper Option??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Hey guys,

To be honest, I am just now really becoming familiar with the helo community, as i've always focused on the fixed-wings. So, i'm sure this has been around, but what is the deal with the CH-46D/E Sea Knight being replaced by the "MH-60S Knighthawk". If this is true, is it Navy/Marine? Whats the gouge on this?

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
The Navy does not have CH-46E's - only H-46D's. These have almost been completely replaced by versions of the H-60. It is the Navy's desire to go to an all H-60 fleet - but gut feeling says they will end up keeping the MH-53E's for cargo runs.

The Marine Corps' plan is to replace all of its CH-46E's and CH-53D's (one of which crashed yesterday at a college in Okinawa) with the V-22 Osprey.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
The Navy has MH-53E's (triple engine) which are used for minesweeping and cargo. Max gross weight of about 72,000 lbs - and they have HUGE fuel tanks that can hold about 22,000 lbs of jet fuel if I remember correctly.

The Marine Corps has CH-53E's (triple engine) which are used for heavy lift and assault missions. Basically the same machine but has smaller fuel tanks - only about 15,500 lbs. The Marine Corps CH-53D's (twin engine) are much older - they top out somewhere in the 50,000 lb range. Same missions as the CH-53E, just less capable and more maintenance intensive due to their advanced age.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Thank you, Sir, that answers my question. On another issue, I have a cousin stationed in Sicily who is a 46 driver, and used to instruct in Pensacola. He's now an Air Boss, LCDR Montagnet. Ring any bells?? (i know, its a big fleet)

Status
Not open for further replies.