• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New E-6 Info?

elcidcannon

i am a p-3 nfo
None
Hi, I'm a SNFO just getting into C-Pool at TRAWING-6.

Based on the "family-friendly" deployment schedule, it looks like the E-6 Mercury is the aircraft for me.

Until I found it on my own, I hadn't heard anything about it....no I've talked to has expressed any interest, nor have I heard of anyone getting put into a slot.

Does anyone have any inside info as to what the current situation (and/or what it might be in 6 months) with NFO's going to Tinker is? How many they're taking? How competitive?

Any info would be much appreciated.

elcidcannon

i am a p-3 nfo
None
I actually did some searches, but I didn't find anything that was newer than a year or so old. I was hoping to get up-to-date info. Thanks though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
elcidcannon said:
I actually did some searches, but I didn't find anything that was newer than a year or so old. I was hoping to get up-to-date info. Thanks though.

Fair enough, but as for selection numbers, it's a question that isn't far from the "What percentage gets jets" posts. The numbers flux for everything, and you can't really game it unless you're #1 (and even then it's not always certain).

As for asking info on the community and stuff, game on!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Gator's got it right... you can't game the system and if youre no 1, its doable, but hard... case and point:

Couple months ago, a whole NFO primary class ended up selecting carrier aviation... E-2's, Prowlers, Hornets... the guy that was No. 1 wanted to go the P-3/E-6 route. He ended up getting it, but only after a few phone calls from the skipper. Had the skipper not been able to pull something out, this kid woud not have gotten what he wanted. Few classes later, pretty much everyone got what they wanted, no drug deals involved.

Ebbs and flows, ebbs and flows...

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
TheBubba said:
Ebbs and flows, ebbs and flows...

And quality spreads...happens ESPECIALLY on the NFO side of the house...at least to most of the NFOs I know.

Sabre170

None
I talked to the XO down here in San Antonio this week (a Navy CDR) and was told that there are only two E6 slots left for this fiscal year, and starting Oct 1st, E6 will select guys out of API. I don't know if that means those of us already past API have no chance or might be grandfathered in for a few slots next fiscal year. I will try to talkto the XO again this next week.

jreynard

I have the same gouge as Sabre...so I can back him up on this. Plus if you are still in C pool you have a lot more things to worry about than the E-6. Focus on getting that Panel Nav Spot first.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
I have to agree with the last statement, but I wouldn't put anything into rumors until you have your orders or something in writing. They've been closing slots for different aircraft nonstop and then opening more back up again. Its a cycle that has no rhyme or reason.

Like the previous comment said, just worry about getting through primary and getting the panel nav slot. That seems to be a hell of a lot harder to get these days than before. Then, everything else will fall in place.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reality Check

elcidcannon said:
Alright....that at least eases my mind that its mostly out of my control. I appreciate the responses!

Perhaps it can seem that way from your perspective, but as your mind is eased by responses, remember that the Navy doesn't exist to grant you or anyone else's fondest desire unless it matches availability. The available seats are a function of keeping the pipeline openings filled at FRS locations. This is typically referred to as one of those "Needs of the Navy" type situations. The CO can sometimes intercede to work the system a bit for a top performer, but there is a system in play.

You also may not want to hear it, but the "Flesh-peddlers" that work the strings know you'll probably really like whatever you get (see other thread on that topic). Welcome to the "system"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All I know is that there will be some taking charge, as well as some moving out.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
All I know is that there will be some taking charge, as well as some moving out.

Brett

...and moving out to fly endlessly in circles