• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thpage

Hi all! I am totally new to the idea of become a Navy pilot. Well, the idea isn't actually new; I've wanted to fly for the Navy for as long as I can remember. I had always heard the myth that military pilots had to have perfect 20/20 vision. I didn't think I did, so I never seriously considered a Navy career. Upon getting closer to graduation (Bachelor degree in May 2003, 3.5 GPA) and exploring my post-graduate options, I started doing some checking, and found out the truth. Incidentally, I also found out I do have 20/20 vision, so it isn't a problem anyway.

I am hoping someone can/will take the time to start at the beginning and tell me the procedure for becoming a Naval aviator. I've read a great deal in this forum about OCS, etc., but there seems to be a ton of information I do not know anything about.

I have so many questions, it would probably be easiest if someone just told me everything. Do I go through basic training with everyone else, then on to OCS or are there steps in between? Would I know whether or not I was accepted into the aviation program or OCS, or whatever, before joining?...etc. I really do have so many questions.

I'll tell you guys a little about myself. I'm 22 (will be 23 by the time I graduate college this May) and about to finish a Bachelor degree in music. It's much more difficult than it sounds, by-the-way. I have a 3.5 GPA. I have no prior military service, but I'm in good shape.

Well, thanks for everyone's time.

kenjamin17

Well, there are certainly people here more qualified to answer your questions than I am, but I can tell you what I know. First there is no other basic training before OCS. When you apply you will apply specifically for a certain job, such as student naval aviator. so if you are accepted you will know beforehand that you are accepted into aviation and it will be part of a contract. And, you are not even 100% committed to the Navy until the end of OCS, thats also written in the contract.
As far as the application process.. first you need a recruiter of course. but basically you need to take a bubble test, called the ASTB which there are study guides for. you will also need to have a physical to make sure you are medically qualified. there is a also physical test which includes pushups, situps and a 1.5 mile run.
hmm.. what else.. you'll need to get at least 3 references from coworkers or professors or whatever. and there is also an application which includes a short essay. i think thats everything for the application process.
people on these forums are really great so if you ask someone almost always fills you in.

--Ken

cdv478

4thpage,
My application process went as follows:

1. Took the ASTB. Technically there is no pass or fail score on this test, but you do have to achieve a certain score to be considered for the designator (job title of pilot, NFO, intel, etc.) you want, so studying the ARCO guide can be a big help. If you don't score as high as you need the first time, you can retake the test 30 days after the first attempt. If you make two attempts and don't score high enough, you can retake it a third time 180 days from the second try.

2. Completed physical history form, then I was sent to MEPS for a physical. MEPS (military entrant processing station) is usually a location separate from your recruiting office. Enlisted applicants usually ship out from MEPS; OCS applicants do not ship out after their physical.

3. Completed security questionnaire, motivational statement, gave references. Many people get letters of recommendation at this point.

4. Took PRT (physical readiness test) in which you will be asked to do a timed 1.5 mile run and do as many sit ups/push ups as you can in a given amount of time.

5. ASTB scores, physical info, security questionnaire and motivational statement were sent to Tennessee for review. After review, you are accepted to the program you want or, if you don't get what you want, you can reapply. You will be notified if you have been accepted to your desired designator before you are required to complete any paperwork binding you to duty with the Navy.

6. I was sworn into the Navy and assigned an OCS class date. Aviation (pilot/NFO) candidates go to officer candidate school. There is no boot camp or any other required training prior to OCS.

The process I outlined is for the Navy; I'm not sure if the application process for the Marines is different. My OCS class date is Nov. 9 so I can't tell you much beyond the application process, but I hope what I've posted helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck.

Aaron

4thpage

Very helpful information so far...thanks you guys.

I was also wondering approximately how long this whole process might take. I can see from some other postings that the response time varies, but what about everything else (paperwork, etc.)?

Thanks again,
Alan

kent1644

Actually the best study aid there is for the ASTB is the Marine Study Guide, the ARCO isn't that great except for the Spatial part. You really need to go to this link http://www.geocities.com/seadog138 here you will find the Marine study guide and this is definitely what you need to study, this study guide makes the ARCO look like shit, when it comes to preparing for the ASTB.

Harmony Boy

Alan,
Good to see another musician on this forum. I think that you should get with a recruiter as soon as possible to start filling out the appropriate paperwork and set up a time to take the ASTB, if you haven't already. For your Physical Readiness Test (PRT) you need to score an overall Good Low which equates to Curl-ups: 58, Push-ups: 47, 1.5-mile run: 12:00. You can check out these links for more info on the PRT:

http://www.mwr.navy.mil/mwrprgms/prttesttab.pdf
http://www.bupers.navy.mil/navadmin/nav02/nav02087.txt

I also advise using the Marine study guide listed above...if you have problems downloading it from that website, contact me I can get get it to you some other way.
As far as the actual application you would use for OCS, I think that you use this form:

http://www.bupers.navy.mil/cdrom/OFFICER_PROGRAMS_APPLICATION.doc (in MSWord format) or
http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/1420.htm (you can decide what parts you want to dl)

I've got more info if you need it. Just ask.
So what type of music degree? Where from? What do you play? BTW, there's another OCS applicant w/B.M. named Gresh on this forum if you want to bounce any ideas off of him.

James

4thpage

Thanks, Harmony Boy, for all the info; it's very helpful. I'm a trombone performance major at Murray State University (KY). I'm looking at grad-school next year, or HOPEFULLY, going to OCS to be a pilot. What about you? Are you in OCS, or have you already done it or what? What's your status?

Also, do you, or does anyone, have any advice about what I could do to make myself more desirable to the OCS committee? As I said earlier, I have a good GPA (3.52 currently), but this music degree makes me nervous.

I can just see the committee looking at the music degree, laughing, and then passing me up for someone with some sort of tech/science degree. The thing is, I am very good in the science/math areas. If I had not become a music major, I was going to do Mathematics or Chemical Engineering. I've tested out of every math and science course I've been required to take in college. I've looked at the Marine study guide for the ASTB, and think I really should have no trouble with any of that stuff.

I'm really not trying to brag here at all. I just want people to know that music majors aren't necessarily good at only music. It's actually one of the most difficult, most time-intensive majors there is.

Anyway, all this to say, if anyone has any personal experiece or knowledge on this subject, please let me know. I (as I'm sure we all do) just want the committee to let me in. I just want to know what things I could do to this end. I want to fly Navy!

Thanks again,
Alan

Harmony Boy

Alan,
I'm actually an enlisted Navy Musician. I hold Navy Enlisted Classifications (NECs) for trumpet, "unit leader", and am completing the arranger course at the armed forces school of music right now. Really, though, I started on piano and mainly played french horn before joining the Navy.

Supporting your idea that musicians aren't just good at music, I actually swore the oath on the basis of becoming a nuke submariner. I have essentially 3 1/2 years of college and no degree to show for it. I couldn't afford school anymore, that's part of why I joined the Navy. Which is why I'm (hopefully) going through the Seaman to Admiral Program. They send me back to school till I get my degree (then get commissioned)...they pay for school, books, everything AND pay me my regular paycheck PLUS I'm eligible for advancement while at school (it's pretty cool!). I'm waiting for the board that the makes the decision for this year's applicants to adjourn next Friday.

Anyway, to assuage your nervousness about the Music degree:
1) there's currently at least one Naval Aviator, who moderates this board, that came in via OCS and has a B.M., Mari Masuda http://mari.freeshell.org/
2) My friend, Gresh, I mentioned on the previous post, has been told he's a shoe-in for getting an SNA slot despite the B.M.
3) I think that, as many people on this forum have stated, the board is really looking at the whole person concept, that any one thing is not going to be a disqualifying factor (well, obviously failing the PRT, less than 40 on the AQR, or a sub 2.5 GPA will). But I would think that your ASTB scores (I'm assuming you'll score pretty high) will show that you're not one dimensional.

As far as things you can do now to make your app more competitive, well, doing REALLY well on the ASTB is a start, getting quality letters of recommendation (high ranking military, congressmen, senators are all ideal), and start getting prepared for the PRT...set a goal to get an "Outstanding" overall score. That's as much as I can tell you since I didn't go the OCS route, but another thought is maybe active community service (Boys and Girls Club, Big Brothers and Sisters, etc.) might be viewed very positively. Your personal statement is something you can get a slew of suggestions about from this forum.

Good luck, Alan!

James

Status
Not open for further replies.