• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Guy

Stupendousman

I applied for the Navy-Option Scholarship basically about little more than a month ago and I just wanted to know how soon the selection board would give me an answer. Also if I should bug my recruiter about the status of my application.

Other questions:
Can anyone provide me with their "accomplishments" in gaining the scholarsship? (GPA, SAT/ACT Scores etc...) just curious.

How is the whole NROTC-College experience. I would like to know how those two work out as I will be going off to college in less than a year with or without the scholarship. Personal experiences would be nice.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
How is the whole NROTC-College experience. I would like to know how those two work out as I will be going off to college in less than a year with or without the scholarship. Personal experiences would be nice.

Using what little experience I have accrued in my short college career, being a young skull full of cottage cheese, from what I've seen the experience is dependent upon the school. You will get a different experience if say you go to NC State, than you would at say a military school like VMI.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Hmm.. the ROTC-College experience varies like AllAmerican75 said, but it's also not for everyone. Sometimes you'll see a PT-stud come in all gung-ho about it and he'll learn he wasn't cut out for it, and then you'll get the tiny girl who was a trouble-maker in high school who knows nothing about the military come in and she'll realize she was made for it.

The experience that I can guarantee you is PT, Navy classes in addition to Calc and Physics requirements, and usually a "drill period" of some sort at least once a week.

As for accomplishments, I think the SAT scores are now different with the new test, but I can PM you with what I had going in.

Good luck!
Red

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
In my experience, if you were gung ho about the military before you got in you'll have to adjust. Its a lot more relaxed than I thought it would be. I'm guessing its directed more at assimilating civilians more so than living up to the expectations of wannabes. (Unless you're going to a military school)

I don't think the sat scores are different last gouge we got is the navy doesn't care about the new part of the test.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I applied for the Navy-Option Scholarship basically about little more than a month ago and I just wanted to know how soon the selection board would give me an answer. Also if I should bug my recruiter about the status of my application.

Other questions:
Can anyone provide me with their "accomplishments" in gaining the scholarsship? (GPA, SAT/ACT Scores etc...) just curious.

When I applied five years ago I recieved a notification that the board had recieved my application. I don't know if they're still doing that. Don't bug your recruiter about it, he won't know anything off hand. If you still haven't heard anything in a month or so you may try and see if he can get in contact with NETC or CNET or whatever they're calling it now to see about your application.

As for qualifications: go with what you got. The year I applied (pre 9-11) I was denied for an NROTC scholarship but had almost the same grades as two friends of mine who went to West Point and still didn't get a scholarship. Maybe that's more of a comment on who they let into Army U. I ended up picking up a three year scholarship after having been in the college program for a year. Go with the grades and SAT scores you got and don't worry too much.

Life in NROTC is pretty good as naval life goes. Not every unit is the same but you can expect to have a drill period once a week as well as PT once a week. On drill days you wear your uniform to classes. On top of that most freshmen were also on the drill team. Upper classmen had the option of being on something like the rifle or pistol team as well, which usually practiced once or twice a week.

In addition to whatever normal college classes you end up taking you'll also have to take Naval Science classes. These are pretty low threat, at least they were at Oregon State, and cover naval history, shipboard engineering, navigation, and leadership. On top of all that if you do pick up a scholarship you'll also have to take a year of calculus and calulus base physics. They might not be the easiest courses, especially if you're a history or business major, but you should have plenty of ready made study partners in the other mids who have to take the class at the same time.

Summers for scholarship mids are paid vacations in which you get to do some pretty cool stuff like go flying, play marine, and ride a submarine for a month (fun for a month, but I'd never do it again).

Good luck with the scholarship. Any questions you know where to PM me.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
(Unless you're going to a military school)

I don't think the sat scores are different last gouge we got is the navy doesn't care about the new part of the test.

Which I am. . .:D

They didn't care about the new written portion of the exam last year when I applied.

jschlik

I think everyone else has done a pretty good job at answering your question.
The only party of the question I didn't see answered was the part about whether or not you are on scholarship.

For the most part your expierience of ROTC will be very similar whether or not you have a scholarship. The only part that would be different is that you won't get to go on summer cruise. But that also means you can work all summer and make money.
If you work hard during your first year, and don't get into trouble there is a good chance you will pick up a sholarship over the summer after your freshman year.
So I would definitely reccomend continueing along the ROTC path even if you don't get a scholarship.

If you have more specific questions about being a MIDN just let me know.

My little bro still hasn't heard about his scholarship application, so I don't think they have released any results yet.

STARFlight145

I too am waiting for the results of my Navy-option scholarship application. From what my scholarship coordinator told me, we're going to find out anywhere between now and April.

I have a question as well. I'm a freshman at Embry-Riddle Daytona Beach. I started out Army ROTC as a programmer, knowing that it wouldn't be too hard at all to pick up an Army scholarship. My dad being an ex-Naval Officer/Aviator and growing up in a Navy setting for most of my life, I decided Army wasn't for me and left the unit. Is it going to hurt my scholarship results if, as a freshman, I did not participate in the NROTC unit?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Is it going to hurt my scholarship results if, as a freshman, I did not participate in the NROTC unit?

No, if you applied for the nationally-awarded scholarship you will be fine. If you had participated in NROTC you would not have been eligible to apply for the nationally-awarded one anyway. Good luck!