• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

new here and hopefully to OCS

ShaggyGT

hello everybody, just wanted to introduct myself in this section because if all goes well (which unfortunately it rarely does) i will get accepted into the marine ocs this summer. my name is Will, im about to be 19,i live in piscataway NJ and im attending the rutgers school of engineering as a freshman. i actually got interested in the ocs by a mass email that was sent out by the OSO in new brunswick to all RU students at the beginning of the year. i was pondering ocs for about a month when i decided that it was something i wanted to do and went to see my oso last week. after talking to her, i think im more interested, and yet more scared than i was a few months ago.

thing is, ive never been an athlete, im naturally pretty think and weak, but for once i think ive found something that will give me the drive to get in better shape over the next few months. the cpt. told me that the first summer block (which i REALLY wan to attend) is pretty competitive, and that while the deadline for that block to submit the app is march, the earlier the better.

so what does that mean? high goals! my goal is to be able to score 100s on both the pull ups (i can do 10 now) and crunches portions of the PFT. my only fear is running, and while from what ive read it seems that i should be in the 21-22 range, ill have to run my ass off just to make 24. i might be able to pull off 30 as of now:( .

ive been browsin around on this site for about a week now and just signed up this morning, and though i dont think ill have much to post about (unless you want a plethora of questions that have been asked many times before) i definitely want to stick around and learn as much as possible about, well not just ocs but marine aviation in general.

one thing im a little afraid of is being misled by my oso...the military has a history of fibbing to increase recruitment and i just want to make sure im not going to get short changed. for instance, the cpt. was very fuzzy on the maximum heigh to fly jets in the marines (im 6'2" and might gain another 1/2" or so). she said that i was fine, and from what ive read through searching on here the max is 6'6"....but i obviously just want to be certain before i go signing any papers.

well, thanks for sitting through all that, hope to post back here soon!

-Will

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
dont worry about your OSO trying to get you to sign too much, because if you don't make it through OCS, it reflects poorly on them, usually, an OSO will only try and ship you if they think you have the potential. As for this summer, if you cant make it in 1st inc, then go 2nd, if you cant make it 2nd, then try again next year, its not that big of a deal when oyu attend OCS, its not going to make you a 2nd Lt any faster as long as you go before oyu graduate. As for getting a better PFT score, see the PFT forum, theres some good info on there. and why do you want to go 1st inc so bad? the heat? you would only be attending Jr's, so its an "intro" more or less to what you would be doing in sr's, Jr's is fairly easy, sure, im sure the heat makes it harder (i went 2nd inc). If you want to truly do this, you will take whatever option they throw at you.

ShaggyGT

this is true, im just basing it off of my plans for summer. im going to take a chem and a psych course over the summer, and the teachers who are in charge for the second half of the summer are (from what ive heard) much better than those of the first....hence me wanting to be away then. i really dont care about the heat, its going to be hard either way. im definitely going to be in the PFT section a lot!

GburgMike

I have a friend who is at least 6'3" maybe even 6'4" who is down training at NAS Pensicola right now. I attended OCS last summer with an air contract and I'm 6'1". I'm pretty sure that they look more at your seated height because they took all my measurements sitting down. Good luck on the road ahead!

KBayDog

ShaggyGT said:
im attending the rutgers school of engineering... thing is, ive never been an athlete, im naturally pretty think and weak

In other words, you're a starter for the Scarlet Knight football team? :D

Don't worry about the OSO "fibbing" to you. Unlike the enlisted recruiters, who have to actively seek out volunteers in order to find "X" number of qualified recruits to send to the Depots every month, OSOs have the luxury of being a little more selective. (This is due to the fewer number of classes, quotas for those classes, and more applicants than class seats.) Yes, even in the Democratic Peoples' Republic of New Jersey, people want to become Marine officers.

Don't worry about the anthropometric requirements just yet. Like GBurg said, they are based on your sitting measurements, not your standing height. Once your OSO sees that you are sincere about applying, the battery of physical exams will begin. These will determine if you are physically suited for flying. Until then, bust your but to show your OSO that you want to get orders to Quantico.

Welcome to the forum. Keep your eyes and ears open; there is a lot of experience here. (Some of our more seasoned members have been in Naval Aviation longer than Ellyson and Cunningham...Aloooooooooha!)

Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions - as long as they stay away from the "What Percentage Get..." variety, folks here will answer them.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
In other words, you're a starter for the Scarlet Knight football team? :D
Hey now, as a Vandy kid, hearing the mentioning of "Rutgers" and "football" in the same sentence is super painful. I'd appreciate you not knocking them, because it hurts our self-esteem :icon_tong

KBayDog

CommodoreMid said:
Hey now, as a Vandy kid, hearing the mentioning of "Rutgers" and "football" in the same sentence is super painful. I'd appreciate you not knocking them, because it hurts our self-esteem :icon_tong

Hey man, I'm a Citadel graduate. You want to talk about low self-esteem...

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Welcome to the board. I understand your PFT concerns because I was that way for a little while when I first started. Just make sure that you have enough discipline to train as often as you can. If your run sucks, go for a run every day. Vary the speed and length and stuff but just work at it. If you stay dedicated to it you should have zero problem gaining in the three areas.

B

helosusmc

West Texas Skid Trash
Don't worry about the PFT too much. If you're really motivated about becoming a marine, you can do it. When I first started training to apply for OCS, I could do 2 pull-ups. HONESTLY, I could only get 2. I still suck at the PFT compared to a lot, but I can consistently get 17 pull-ups and run in the 21 range. Sit-ups are a must in my opinion. Now I'm down here in beautiful Milton trying to figure out what helo I want (or wants me). Best of luck to you. I think you'll find only encouragement and positive thinking if you ask.

baryon

careful not to hurt yourself, though. being motivated is great, but running every day will be bad for your knees. (i was over motivated at the beginning of my training too and got that stupid patella problem, but it's working itself out now.) find a good regimen and stay with it, but be careful not to over-do it. (i don't think you can overdo pullups, because the armstrong method was about as much as i could handle at the beginning and i didn't hurt myself--just careful on the running part.)

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
after about 6 or so weeks on armstrong, it started to suck. I was tired all the time. I never got hurt, but could tell that it was draining so I stopped it. Never had a problem with running all the time though. Just make sure that you take care of yourself. Different people can handle different work out schedules. You need to be the judge. If something starts hurting or if you feel like you are straining or fatigued, take a break. You'll be better off in the long run.