• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Marine OCC-R?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I was cruising the Marine OCS website and I came upon the new OCC-R program where guys go to OCS-TBS and then go to a reserve unit. Evidently the reserves are extremely undermanned at the JO level. The kicker that seems to be getting guys is that they get to pick their MOS before going to OCS (infantry for example). Out of curiosity I was wondering if this applied to Marine Reserve Air? It seems like a stretch that they would send guys through the training pipeline to go reserves, but the AFR and ANG have been doing it for a long time so it seems possible. Anyone have an idea?

Oh, and heres the link to the thread which includes the "official word".
http://www.marineocs.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5004

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No plan for this on the reserve Airwing side, more likely there will be a bonus for transitioining to the reserves after an AD commitment.

The reserve squadrons are not really set up to take a guy from RAG fresh to full up round, this could change in time but not yet.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Skid, would this transition still be at the end of an 8 year AD commitment? Are guys allowed to transition airframes when going to the reserves?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. Yes
2. Yes within reason and a full trip through the RAG to get qualed in the new airframe.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
So with regard to the reserves do you have O-3/O-4's holding down billets that would normally be held at the O-1/O-2 level? I've also heard that for the ANG guys it is much more of a commitment than the standard "one weekend a month, two weeks a year", and some find it hard to hold down another serious job. Is this the case with Navy/Marine reserve air? I'd think that having the option of going reserves after 8-12 years would be a really good deal, but would it really be feasible to start career #2 at that point? Thanks for your help skid.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the ground side most Grunt units have Majors as Company Commanders and Capts as Plt Commanders.
In the wing it is a little different, not many Capts since msot are Majors or pick up very soon in the reserves so yes jobs that in a fleet squadron would be held by an O-2/3 are hedl by an O-4 but this is kind of a misnomer since the reserve guys really dont have ground jobs, except on annual training or during activiation. All jobs done in an AD squadron are done by the 4 or 5 Active duty guys that work everyday.

As for holding a normal job many do it and od well. They do the one wekeend a month two weeks a year thing and every once in a while come in and fly. Others work as airline guys so they have a fair amount of free time. They can come in and fly, if they fly two sorites they get paid for two drills, not a bad deal.

The reserves are a nice second income, some guys do the reserve thing as their sole source of income and live pretty well.