• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Skipper for Harry S Truman Named

Status
Not open for further replies.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I started a new thread to not detract from Captain Tembe,but it looks like Captain Dee Mewbourne has been named the new skipper of the HST.

http://www.wtkr.com/news/military/w...e-uss-harry-s-truman-20111110,0,5463694.story

I know it's just an "interim" position, but when is the last time a single individual has officially commanded three separate aircraft carriers? Maybe this will be what finally gets him his star.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Do CVN XO's fleet up, or is there more to driving the big boat than that?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Do CVN XO's fleet up, or is there more to driving the big boat than that?

Short answer is No. The CVN CO pipe-line is a multi-year process.
You get selected for Nuke and go to Nuke School. After Nuke School, you go off to be the Big XO.
Following a successful XO tour, you get selected for "Deep Draft Command". This is an opportunity to be the Commanding Officer of a large ship. The typical command used to be the Underway Replenishment Ships, but with most of those going to civilian crews, many are being offered command of Amphibs.

Following that command tour there is another selection board for actually commanding the CVN. There is usually more guys elligible for command (a greater number selected for Nuke and have completed their Deep Draft Command tour than there are CVN's available.)

So, since the Big XO is about 3+ years away from the normal time period for assuming command for a CVN, the Big XO may fill in until a new CO is named, but will most likely not fleet up.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I worked for the man during my first JO tour, I'll wish him luck in his interim assignment and future RDML screen.
My only public comment is that he was a precise man which, at times, made it difficult to work for him.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.