• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO and scores

doctorjake

I'm having trouble deciding if I should retake the ASTB or not. I plan on applying for NFO and obviously want to have competative scores. Right now I have:
OAR 57
AQR 6
PFAR 6
FOFAR 5
My CCC says I should stick with these but I was hoping someone here might have some other advice. I have 8 years of enlisted service as a Nuc electrician (subs) with a degree in Nuc Engineering Technology.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Give us the "whole" picture....scores don't tell the story

A few questions: First, you are probably applying to OCS, right? How long ago did you take the test; when is your package due; Are you warfare qualified; Personal awards; have you been ranked as a Petty Officer 3rd/2nd/1st; do you have everything else completed for your package?

Your scores are acceptable, but being Active Duty enlisted will count for a few bonus points. If you really want to ensure selection and you have only taken the test once, you may want to consider studying and taking the test again (timing dependant).

ea6bflyr

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyer is right. Other info would be helpful. He is also correct that those scores will fly. If the rest of your app looks good and if age isn't an issue, I say shoot the package off and reapply if necessary. Always better to apply sooner. If, however, you are pushing an age limit you want to make sure this is your very best shot. In that case I would study and take it again ASAP just to give you the extra edge. Good Luck. I love it when we grow our own.

doctorjake

The rest of the picture

Sorry, here's the rest of the story. I'm an E-6 (nuke electrician), submarine warfare qualified, getting ready to drop package for Navy OCS (NFO). I'll turn 29 in November so I am definitely pushing the age limit. I believe it's 31 for NFO. I know this means I really need to stand out. I scored outstandings on my last 2 PFA's, have good evals and LOR's, and right now am scheduled to retake the ASTB next week. From your advice it seems I should do some studying this weekend and just retake it. I never realized that this age thing was such an issue. You would think being a little older, wiser, and more mature would be a bonus.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jake,
Do not worry about your age. You are correct in stating the age limit is 31 (for you). I believe the age limit is 27 for NFO and Pilot, but they will waive 4 years for prior active service. I received my commission at 30 and started my VT squadron at 31, so don't sweat being "older than average", it will work toward your benifit (maturity, motivation, etc). Good luck on the test and let us know if we can help you with anything else.
ea6bflyr

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just to be correct for those passing through, the age limit for a guy off the street is 27 with only a two year waiver for prior service. If a guy applies from active duty a different age limit applies and I don't believe a waiver is attached to that limit. Apps from active duty are not my speciality so you will have to go with your CC on that.