• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Career?

NapalmRat

I dunno if anyone that uses these forums has been in for very long...but oh well. Does anybody know if NFOs make a good career in the Marines or if it kind of ends after your first contract...or what happens to it? Also is the promotion speed the same as every other MOS or does it go slower or faster for NFOs?
Also will you spend a lot of time in the cockpit or will u have to pick up a ground billet and get minimal flight time and just sit on the ground doing whatever.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NapalmRat said:
I dunno if anyone that uses these forums has been in for very long...but oh well. Does anybody know if NFOs make a good career in the Marines or if it kind of ends after your first contract...or what happens to it? Also is the promotion speed the same as every other MOS or does it go slower or faster for NFOs?
Also will you spend a lot of time in the cockpit or will u have to pick up a ground billet and get minimal flight time and just sit on the ground doing whatever.

There's a recent thread on this, but if you look at General Newland becoming Assistant Commandant, I'd say NFOs haven't done so bad. NFOs command squadrons in Navy and USMC and go beyond that so they get promoted along with anyone else. It's all competitive and certain communities are more NFO mission intensive (Prowlers, Hawkeyes.....) so you'll better positioned in those communities for advancement.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
To add to what Joe said...

As an aviatior, you'll also have a ground job within the squadron.. you'll do this job in addition to flying. You'll get enough flting hours to stay more than proficient in the aircraft. You also will not spend your entire career with a squadron. You'll have assignments that take you out of the cockpit.

Hope that helps too... also, take a look in the NFO forum.

Cheers,
Bubba

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Marine Corps Major I sat across the table from yesterday was an F/A-18D NFO and upwardly mobile.