• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO jobs outside the jet and in the Navy

jvickers

Basically wondering what jobs an NFO has within his squadron outside of the jet? And maybe a brief synopsis of each if its possible?

James

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jvickers said:
Basically wondering what jobs an NFO has within his squadron outside of the jet? And maybe a brief synopsis of each if its possible?

James
Same as a pilot. Runs the gambit. Too many to list specifically. Ranges from coffee mess officer to legal officer to maintenance Division officer to Assistant Ops officer. With a coupel exceptions, NFOs and pilots get the same kind of jobs.

Brett

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh don't forget MISSION PLANNING....sometimes the 'FO get to do MUCH more of that then pilots....but that's where NFO's make MONEY!!!

ea6bflyr

Me (NFO): Hey aren't you going to mission planning?
Pilot: Nope, I have to get my LSO Under Instruction's done. You won't miss me anyway...I really suck at PowerPoint and Excel.
Me: Your LSO skills won't help when you have to brief the SEAD mission.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NFO's get the same jobs as pilots EXCEPT for LSO ... and LSO skills, as correctly pointed out, might not help you brief a SEAD mission , but they sure as heck will help you get aboard with you asses intact on some dark, rainy night.

Brief that ..... :icon_mi_1

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
NFO's get the same jobs as pilots EXCEPT for LSO ... and LSO skills, as correctly pointed out, might not help you brief a SEAD mission , but they sure as heck will help you get aboard with you asses intact on some dark, rainy night.

Brief that ..... :icon_mi_1
If you fvck up the SEAD mission you won't be coming back to the ship on that dark and stormy night. ;)

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
wink said:
If you fvck up the SEAD mission you won't be coming back to the ship on that dark and stormy night. ;)
Ba dum bump... Thank you! Good night! Enjoy the veal! :D

jvickers

I can feel the comradery on this site! jk. Well, ok hows this, if their are too many jobs to list can you give me some of the mroe interesting one and what they're all about. Gimme something please!

James

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
wink said:

Naaaaaaaaa ...... it's The BOAT ... it's ALWAYS the boat that counts, guys. Remember the CAG-16 (?) study done during Vietnam that put that into concrete ??? What't the most stressful and dangerous part of the mission??? LANDING !!! ROGER BALL !!!

It's ALWAYS the boat and whether or not you can get back aboard. Everything else comes in a distant second place .... :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Naaaaaaaaa ...... it's The BOAT ... it's ALWAYS the boat that counts, guys. Remember the CAG-16 (?) study done during Vietnam that put that into concrete ??? What't the most stressful and dangerous part of the mission??? LANDING !!! ROGER BALL !!!

It's ALWAYS the boat and whether or not you can get back aboard. Everything else comes in a distant second place .... :)

Never said it wasn't more stressful then combat, or unimportant. Just that if you can't complete the mission without getting flamed, well then, the Top Hook won't get any more chances to impress the CAG LSO. The Top Hook isn't any good to the Navy if he can't complete his combat mission. Fortunately for the Navy, and NFOs fleet wide, I have found that the vast majority of steady sticks in the groove also tend to be reliable warriors able to fly an outstanding mission as well.

For the record, that study was done on pilots. I'd like to add that the results are probably pretty much the same for NFOs.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jvickers said:
I can feel the comradery on this site! jk. Well, ok hows this, if their are too many jobs to list can you give me some of the mroe interesting one and what they're all about. Gimme something please!

James

Relax, take a deep breath...here's one....

Senior Communications Engineer - Deal with FCC Spectrum Certification for Advanced Tactical Data Links. Detailed technical development and testing in conjunction with FAA/NTIA/FCC. Exceptional writing skills are required. Will also work on new requirements for DOD current/proposed systems...such as MIDS, FDL, etc..

Starts around $75k year

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Post-Navy NFO jobs? If you have a clearance come to DC, get hired and make pretty good money. Then watch it all go into paying the $500k mortgage you have on your 50 year old 2 bedroom 1 bath house :eek: .

Seriously, if you have a clearance the sky is the limit for jobs right now.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
wink said:
Never said it wasn't more stressful then combat.......For the record, that study was done on pilots. I'd like to add that the results are probably pretty much the same for NFOs.
I think we're in total agreement, Wink .... WOW !!! What a suprise, huh???

We never heard of "SEAD" (obviously) back-in-the-day (SEAD: Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses ... for the unwashed).... we just did it, and no one had even thought up a term for it, yet. Maybe FLAK SUPRESSOR or IRON HAND came the closest??? I think I liked those terms better --- they sounded "tougher" and more "business-like".

Progress .... ??? :icon_mi_1

ip568

None
My first jobs (held simultaneously) in my first squaron were:

1. NFO
2. Ground Support Branch Officer
3. Coffee Mess Officer
4. Morale Officer on Deployment
5. Condom Control Officer on Deployment (that's another story...)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
My first jobs (held simultaneously) in my first squaron were . . .

:icon_what
wtf.gif

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
ip568 said:
Must have been a Westpac deployment.

In my first squadron (west coast, 1985-89), we used to have a box of the foamie ear plugs mounted to the wall of the aircraft's head. For deployments, the flight quack would mount a box of condoms along side the ear plugs.