• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO question

beam101

about how long is the trainingform beginning to end for a NFO. Also, when does your 6 year committment start(like during training or right when you finish). And last question, is there a better chance to be a NFO coming out of ROTC or joiningOCs. Thanks

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
1. The training length depends on what aircraft you select. If you go heavies, you can get winged before the FRS, while others may not wing you until afterwards. Then again, there are a lot of changes coming down throughout the training command so in the end one track may not be any different than another. Overall, expect around 1.5-2 years from the start of training till winging.

2. 6 year commitment begins when you get your wings.

3. It is a known fact that ROTC and USNA get a few more slots for different communities than OCS does, but that doesn't mean you can get them more easily than OCS and vice versa. Where exactly are you in your education right now? If you're already in college, then OCS would probably be the smartest thing to do, but if you're just finishing high school then you may think about the other options.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Not so sure about duration of for NFO - I'm guessing between 2 and 3 years depending on the platform. Your 6 year commitment starts when you get your wings. Regardless of your path to commision, you've got about an equal shot at getting NFO, or whatever you're shooting for. The Navy tries to fill up its NFO, pilot, SWO, etc slots with Academy and NROTC people first, then utilizes OCS to fill remaining slots. Still, if you've got a good GPA, ASTB score, have no criminal record, etc, you've got a decent shot with OCS. If they give you a flight contract, they're obligated to fullfill it as long as you meet your end of the bargin. Hope that helps.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. The training length depends on what aircraft you select. If you go heavies, you can get winged before the FRS, while others may not wing you until afterwards. Then again, there are a lot of changes coming down throughout the training command so in the end one track may not be any different than another. Overall, expect around 1.5-2 years from the start of training till winging.

2. 6 year commitment begins when you get your wings.

3. It is a known fact that ROTC and USNA get a few more slots for different communities than OCS does, but that doesn't mean you can get them more easily than OCS and vice versa. Where exactly are you in your education right now? If you're already in college, then OCS would probably be the smartest thing to do, but if you're just finishing high school then you may think about the other options.

In what bizarro world does an NFO get winged post-RAG?

Brett

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Amendment to the last...

probably the same bizarro world that decides to send schmucks straight from primary to Jax or Tinker.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Amendment to the last...

probably the same bizarro world that decides to send schmucks straight from primary to Jax or Tinker.

Yea, I hear the Navy is doing that test where they send SNFOs who select P-3s to Jax instead of San Antonio. Is it true the winging time is now like 10-11 months? Of course not factoring all that waiting.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Yea, I hear the Navy is doing that test where they send SNFOs who select P-3s to Jax instead of San Antonio. Is it true the winging time is now like 10-11 months? Of course not factoring all that waiting.

I honestly couldn't tell ya. I do know that they had the first winging of that test bunch about two weeks ago here at Jax. I didn't know any of them, so I couldn't do the math for you, but if anyone else knows who they were then they can figure out the timing.

It seems to be slightly shorter though. As already mentioned....bizarro world.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None

Yeah, they are doing this. My former roommate started api ~jan 4, had a wait for primary (OHARP and all that jazz), finished primary (got P-3's), had about 9 or so intermediate flights, then is on his way to Jax. He's supposed to get winged around the end of sept. Now that is a crazy world (9 mos from api to wings-including cpool).

pcl retard

Just to give you an idea...I am in vt-86 (advanced) with about 3-4 months left.
I started in the middle of december 05 for primary. So, barring a wait in c-pool, the training pipeline should take around a year for strike, give or take a month or two. If you select strike fighter, you'll stick around for a few more months.

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
They are currently splitting panel selectees between Randolph and Jax. Those who go to Jax finish intermediate INAVs here in Pensacola before going to Jax then spending some months there before going straight to the RAG and winging there. This is being done to address the problem that studs trained in Pcola go to Randolph and have to basically repeat API and waste a ton of time. Apparently it's working and they're gonna keep doing it. Winging does apparently happen a lot faster in that situation but there's no guarantee you'll be one of the people who goes to Jax. Randolph guys probably won't wing much earlier than jet folks (and they'll stand a sh!t ton of watches while waiting to go to Texas).

I went to OCS and selected for tacair after primary. I've been in Pensacola over a year and expect to be here another year before winging assuming I go all the way through 86 for strike fighter (too big for prowlers) and don't end up at E-2 school somehow. This includes all the ridiculously long pool times. Who wants to be an ensign at their first fleet assignment anyway?