• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to Air National Guard pilot? Age waivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theduke

I'm an SNFO right now, PQ'd as both SNA and SNFO after PRK, but USMC wouldn't allow the switch to pilot.

The only two things I've ever wanted to do since I was about 10 years old were to be a Marine and a military pilot (the reason I went NFO was because of bad gouge from an OSO...I was told that it would facilitate making the pilot switch later. thought about dropping the contract and shooting for ground combat arms, but then they came out with the new policy of not allowing air drops to compete for MOS selection, and I don't want to be a ground supply officer.)

At any rate, I've thought about getting out of the USMC after my service obligation is up and trying to get picked up as a pilot in the Air National Guard. I know that you can do this without even having prior military service, much less being a former military pilot. However, according to their website, you have to begin training NLT your 30th birthday, which will be impossible (I'll be ~33 when my obligation is up).

Does anyone happen to know if they'll waiver my age, particularly in light of me being a prior service officer, and already trained as an NFO? Does anyone know anyone who's done the active duty Navy or USMC to ANG transition?

Thanks in advance for any help.

saltpeter

Dude, I can't believe that no one has replied to this post yet. Your OSO sold you some bad gouge? I thought you were an officer, take all the responsibility on your own shoulders. As for getting a pilot slot at 33 in the guard, fugetaboutit.

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
Duke;
I don't know exactly about the age waivers cause I didn't need one. I was told that if I was already trained as a pilot, I'll most probably go to that designator and the same might happen to you if you are an NFO. The only ANG aircrafts that might require NFO's are heavies and not fighters. Don't take my word for it though, you'll have to find out from the recruiters and NOT JUST ONE RECRUITER.
Have you started NFO training already cause if you haven't, try to see if you can get picked up right now. In that case, you'll still need to get a clean discharge from the Marines. Yeah, the recruiters paint a nice pic for you making the whole NFO to Pilot transition sound like a cake walk which isn't true at all. I've talked to quite a few Commanders (NFO's) that are here at NASC for "SKIPPER SCHOOL" and most the ones I talked to did try the transition at one time or another but didn't get picked up. One of the Commanders (An Awesome Dude) actually told me not to go NFO just in the hopes of the transition. He tried it three times and despite all his high marks and high standings, he wasn't able to. Now, he is here 18 years later as a Commander who in his own words would love to be a pilot if he had to do it all over again. Take it for what its worth.

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
There are quite of few Lt. Cmdrs and Cmdrs here at NASC for a month long Skipper School and they will move on to take commands of their own squadrons. By most I mean "most out of the ones I have talked to." Most of them were nice enough to give their honest opinion. I don't want to name any just because it wouldn't be appropriate but for any FY04 guys who are undecided still, they really should talk to some of these guys. None of them said that they hated their job but most of them had applied for the transition from NFO to Pilot. Almost all of them said that it's about being a Naval Officer first and Pilot/NFO second. NFO would be great for those who want to do it and it's just as important as every other job out there. However, I'm happy to be in a situation I'm in right now.

About the quote, he he, just one of my poker buddy, now at VT-4, said it during one of our games a while back. He classed up for API back in February and had a 41.8 NSS so he had to go NFO. Well I guess he always wanted to fly jets and he thinks he has a better shot at being a Rhino NFO then a Rhino Pilot. I wouldn't know, it's just something he said that I found amusing. You wouldn't believe how many FY04 guys who made the Pilot to NFO transition are hoping to be in the cockpits as pilots. Just alot of misinformation and false hopes.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Venom-0 said:
There are quite of few Lt. Cmdrs and Cmdrs here at NASC for a month long Skipper School and they will move on to take commands of their own squadrons. By most I mean "most out of the ones I have talked to." Most of them were nice enough to give their honest opinion. I don't want to name any just because it wouldn't be appropriate but for any FY04 guys who are undecided still, they really should talk to some of these guys. None of them said that they hated their job but most of them had applied for the transition from NFO to Pilot.
I think you got what we like to call a "non-representative sample." This is not at all the general sentiment in the fleet. I know you're not intent on NFO bashing, but just use caution/discretion when saying stuff like that. It tends to make people who have a say in the direction of your future a tad ornery.

Good times,

Brett

theduke

Your OSO sold you some bad gouge? I thought you were an officer, take all the responsibility on your own shoulders.

When you're initially contracting, totally new to the game, I'd say it's to be expected that you would just take a Captain (who also happened to be an NFO) to be your own personal resident expert.

He wasn't out to screw me or anything--just gave me some bad gouge, which, at the time, I had no reason not to take him at his word. I mean, he said "Take an NFO contract. It'll make it easier to pick up a pilot slot later." What would you expect a new contractee to do in that situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.