• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFOs in command

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I flew with a guy yesterday (airline trip) that had just read Aces High, I beleive. It is about F-14 action in the Balkans. He was shocked to learn that NFOs could command squadrons. Now he didn't have a military background, civil flying only, so I had to educate him a bit. It was still hard for his stick monkey mind set to accept. Does anyone here not know NFOs can command? Do any of you find it hard to accept a NFO in command of a squadron because he can not pilot the aircraft? Any zoomie check six types want to elaborate on the USAF policy on restricting NAVs from operational command. Bring me up to date if that has changed. It always stuck in my craw.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
That is funny! I know for a fact they can, my roommate's father was a CAG and he was a FO.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
I got my NFO CO "education". . .

From F-14 pilot Charles "Heater" Heatley's book The Cutting Edge. I thought it was cool that the CO of (the now defunct) VF-1 was "Leader of the Pack" and was a RIO/NFO.

I take it Heater Heatley is retired by now?

Nav's in the Air Force can be squadron commanders or higher. Before I got out of the AF one of my last squadron(air-refueling squadron) commanders was a Nav. The Group Commander at one time was also a Nav. E3 Awacs squadrons have Airborne Battle Mangers as squadron commander. They are neither pilot or Navs. They do the same job that a FO would do on an E2.

Clux4

Banned
Thanks for the info. You sound well informed about things on the Airforce side of the house. You probably can help answer a thread on this forum about Airforce pilots having other assigned billets within their squadron apart from flying.

I can't remember exactly under what caption the topic was, but i am sure you can find it under unanswered post.

Thanks

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FOs in Charge

Yes, Naval Flight officers can and do command squadrons with a pilot NFo mix. Typically they rotate the 18 moth tour as CO between a driver and FO.
Training squadrons for pilots are commanded by pilots, likewise for NFO training squadrons.
They can also Command CVNs...Capt (know Adm) Larry baucom had the Carl Vinson in the mid 90's. He was an F-14 RIO. They can also command Battlegroups like RADM Jim Zortman who had the John C Stennis BG during my OEF 7 month cruise on it from '01 - '02.
r/
Goz

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The latest Prowler Bubba list, which included Intruder types, had one 4 star, one 3 star and 3 or 4 two star Admirals. All of them were NFO's. They had to be a CAG or CV/N CO before they got there. I doubt you find those stats in the light blue. And GEN Nyland, the Asst Commandant of the Marines, is an NFO.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Has anybody heard of Pilot/NFO going to be a gator CO? or any Helo ADM's? I was just curious if there was a way around the CVN path to higher command. I heard that Jet guys are typically the ones who pick up CVN command. Any truth to this?

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
RADM William McCarthy was/is(?) an E-2C NFO, and commanded the USS George Washington Nov '99- Apr '02.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Piperdriver said:
Dunedan, when were you in the 90FS? I was in the 90th from 95-99

I was there from Dec 93 thru Sept 96 - but I was actually assigned to the 3rd CRS (avionics). I spent a lot of time at the 90th working on their Strike Eagles..

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the update on AF Nav command opportunities. Glad to hear they can now be recognized for their leadership and dedication. I go way back before any of you, I expect, and for a long time Navs got nowhere. I still would be interested to see how many get stars. Don't know how it has worked out lately, but Gators (aviation capable) were commanded by helo types. Not sure how many might make admiral but I have seen a few. Commander Mine Warfare Command was usually a helo guy. Deep draft log ships like AORs are often commanded by aviators, helo, fixed wing and nfos, that are slated for CV or Gator command.

Status
Not open for further replies.