• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nice Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Little MMA news for you all.

We were asked the other day about what we thought was the best solution for the crew rest area on the new MMA (P-8A). The current P-3 has two "Navy Style" bunks, which though antiquated, are quite comfortable. Boeing proposed two solutions. One is a traditional "Navy Style" bunk like the P-3 has, the other is a first class sleeper style chair like you'd see in the first class of a transoceanic flight. The sleeper seat has the added advantage of doubling as a ditching station.

Either way they go, the MMA will be way more comfortable than the P-3.

Here's that nice rack that caused you to click on this thread:

Attachments

• sleeper seat.jpg
    sleeper seat.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 205

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
Little MMA news for you all.

We were asked the other day about what we thought was the best solution for the crew rest area on the new MMA (P-8A). The current P-3 has two "Navy Style" bunks, which though antiquated, are quite comfortable. Boeing proposed two solutions. One is a traditional "Navy Style" bunk like the P-3 has, the other is a first class sleeper style chair like you'd see in the first class of a transoceanic flight. The sleeper seat has the added advantage of doubling as a ditching station.

Either way they go, the MMA will be way more comfortable than the P-3.

Here's that nice rack that caused you to click on this thread:
Back in the day, I had a b!tchin' hammock that I used to string up w/ carabiners over the P-chutes. It was awesome in the JAX heat right under the ECS vent. Anyone doing that these days?

Good times,

Brett

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Back in the day, I had a b!tchin' hammock that I used to string up w/ carabiners over the P-chutes. It was awesome in the JAX heat right under the ECS vent. Anyone doing that these days?

i've not seen anyone do that, but it is a great idea. though, being the pilot, i've got a rack - a very nice one :D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ah, nothing like racking out and getting A time....

I got my hopes up on this thread.... obviously I read too much into the title... ahem

Screw the fold down seat, give me a RACK damn!t!!! Make sure I have a curtain, or a seperate inflight cabin stateroom... I don't want the NFO riffraf bothering me while I am snoozing, curled up, drooling and snoring... while we are at it, we need to introduce a new rating, and get some stewardesses! I mean, we are getting rid of the FEs, make a one for one swap maybe? I don't know, probably thinking out of the box on this one, or as my boss likes to say "STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!"...

Brett, yeah, I have seen the hammock still used, had some FEs that carried those around, and hooked them up. I racked out in one (not with the FE of course, I didn't go to VP47, sheez!), really good nap, though you got to have "skilz" to get in and out of the damn thing, even without any turbulence (try that one patsmack! jk with ya)... lucky I didn't fall on my face getting in and out of the damn thing... and why was I in it? I think I was like the 6P on a repo flight, too much brass on the plane...

"He's got upper management written all over him...."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
I got my hopes up on this thread.... obviously I read too much into the title... ahem

Screw the fold down seat, give me a RACK damn!t!!! Make sure I have a curtain, or a seperate inflight cabin stateroom... I don't want the NFO riffraf bothering me while I am snoozing, curled up, drooling and snoring... while we are at it, we need to introduce a new rating, and get some stewardesses! I mean, we are getting rid of the FEs, make a one for one swap maybe? I don't know, probably thinking out of the box on this one, or as my boss likes to say "STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!"...

Brett, yeah, I have seen the hammock still used, had some FEs that carried those around, and hooked them up. I racked out in one (not with the FE of course, I didn't go to VP47, sheez!), really good nap, though you got to have "skilz" to get in and out of the damn thing, even without any turbulence (try that one patsmack! jk with ya)... lucky I didn't fall on my face getting in and out of the damn thing... and why was I in it? I think I was like the 6P on a repo flight, too much brass on the plane...

"He's got upper management written all over him...."
Yeah, one of the real disads to it was for repos there was usually a bunch of shiznit packed around the P-chutes, or extra buoys on operational flights. Do you guys still even use buoys? ;) We used to pack every inch of that tube w/ buoys and CADS - probably ~150 plus the normal 84. You guys still see ASW like that, or is it a bygone era?

Brett

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
webmaster said:
while we are at it, we need to introduce a new rating, and get some stewardesses! I mean, we are getting rid of the FEs, make a one for one swap maybe?

funny you should mention that. There's a "qual" (i think that's what it is called) in NALCOMIS for "flight attendant". Sometimes i'll put that down on the yellow sheet for the FO's because it isn't like the hours mean anything to them anyhow - and hey, it is funny. When i get a particularly lippy chief IFT i'll hook them up too.

It is the little victories...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gramps, were you navigating by celestial then too? Or was it OMEGA?

Brett327 said:
Yeah, one of the real disads to it was for repos there was usually a bunch of shiznit packed around the P-chutes, or extra buoys on operational flights. Do you guys still even use buoys? ;) We used to pack every inch of that tube w/ buoys and CADS - probably ~150 plus the normal 84. You guys still see ASW like that, or is it a bygone era?

Brett
Buoy, what's a frickin buoy? I didn't know P3's EVEN did ASW till my second deployment!!!

No, haven't seen that, then again, us new kids, have got the flying skilz in the flight station for precision buoy placement, and the NFOs that have grown up 24/7 on PS2, XBOX and gameboy, don't need to waste that many buoys trying to locate and maintain contact... obviously, "less is more" wasn't in your lexicon, and you didn't need all that extra free space for the "important" stuff, such as cases of VB or Australian wine.

Sad fact is, HONA rules our lives, and to be onstation that long, with that many buoys... care to see two crews on one plane trying to get quals with only 3 hours onstation? Feeling "lucky", do ya?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
PropStop said:
It is the little victories...
Yes, always the little victories.... now, where's my box lunch, I am HUNGRY... ah, AF chicken, AGAIN?!?! and who stole my cookies!! sigh.....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
Sad fact is, HONA rules our lives, and to be onstation that long, with that many buoys... care to see two crews on one plane trying to get quals with only 3 hours onstation? Feeling "lucky", do ya?
HONA?

Brett

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Goodbye 5 hour DFWs, unless OPS/TRAINING screwed up and have excess hours to burn...

Brett327 said:
HONA?

Brett
Heritage of Naval Aviation... flight hour limitations on P3s... welcome to the new world brotha... along with such wonderful topics as:

- Pilot wardroom reduction plan (think I need to make a patch for that one, since I am a proud member of that group).
- Excess pilots, and say helloooo to DH Screening Boards (tho, this IS aviation wide).
- Reduced hours to qual 2P, PPC, IP.
- And don't forget the upgraders! More simulators for the "new" pilot training syllabus.
- VP Reserve Squadron disolution (give us those planes damn!t) and integration into active VP...
- Don't have enough #s to memorize? Try these airframe limits on for size, and stop flying that fast!!

Zab, what am I forgetting?

Status
Not open for further replies.