• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Night CQ on the Connie PLAT

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, I thought this would be interesting to our aspiring NAs/NFOs out there. Good PLAT/ILARTS footage and comms. Lots of wave offs and bolters. Enjoy

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Rep for a great post! Great video with some jacked up approaches. The last approach/trap was beautiful.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Great video with some jacked up approaches. Tons of sparks = bad trap. The last approach/trap was beautiful.

I'll wait for input from someone whose actually landed an aircraft on a carrier (or maybe even waived them), thanks.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Never said it was easy. Hearing about "landing on a postage stamp" doesn't sound easy to me. Cool video...period.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Tons of sparks = bad trap? Please explain how you keep a tailhook from making sparks when slamming against the flight deck

Lonestar155

is good to go
I never ever have trapped but even thinking logically, I would argue that "making no sparks" is virtually impossible. Anything coming in at 160 kts. and slamming onto a steel deck will inevitably cause sparks.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Tons of sparks = bad trap? Please explain how you keep a tailhook from making sparks when slamming against the flight deck

Hence my edit after the fact eliminating that part of my post. Forgive me.... 6 cervezas supercedes logic....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Looks like a typical night initial CQ for the RAG .... i.e., a controlled horror show. :)

Normal LSO calls ... but we didn't call WOD on the "Roger Ball" call unless there was something really unusual about it ... like ... what difference does it make to the average pilot??? Especially guys on initial night CQ???

We didn't get a "needles" call for confirmation as we seldom used it --- ours was an early SPN-41 and it was usually tits-up.

There's nothing worse than a PLAT LSO, so I won't re-wave any of the passes (who cares anyway??) but it's interesting to see the "daisy chain" of the other lights (aircraft) coming up the BRC and/or the SAR Helo motoring across the ship's wake from time to time ... at least I think that's what it was ....

On a clear night when waving ... you could see many aircraft coming down the "chute" from marshal strung out for miles ... always impressive.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
For the short time I flew night at the boat in the COD, 80% of all my night traps were on the Connie (left and right seat)....about 100 or so. Earned my squadron qual as well that crusie. Good times waving day/night in all sorts of weather.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The experience of watching that video just isn't complete without hearing and feeling the jets slam onto flight deck above you.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the Big E, I wasin RR7 right under the 3 wire. We had the PLAT on 24/7 and would instinctively plug our ears with our fingers when we saw one at the ramp...or heard the AG guys yell "ramp" down the p-way.

We got so conditioned we'd reach for our ears during a playback of a recovery if we didn't know it had ended.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got to thinking some of those RIOs sounded damn good on the radio...so I pulled the old logbooks....I was in there somewhere as I was a VF-124 FRS instructor at that time. It was an interesting time to be in VF-124.

CQ.jpg