• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

no more manuals

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
I already use mine as a study and brief aide with PDFs of 3710, NATOPS, gouge, plus aviation WX through apps. Most instructors think it's pretty cool. Not sure if it's ready for primetime cockpit use, but I've heard of folks doing so. Hopefully it gets support.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Several airlines are going to this. American is testing right now, Eagle is getting them very soon. The main problem is the battery, some of them vent and that is a no-no, its getting fixed so the 10k altitude req. is no longer an issue. Will be pretty nice to not have to haul around 3 binders of shit plus jepps.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
prolly have to haul around the binders plus the e-bookbag too. in case the ipad shits the bed.

Brunes

pilot
I've got e- copies of all the flight manuals, and all the work manuals I use regularly on my Nook. Working with the Auxiliary guys that fly for us-They all fly secondary nav set ups on an iPad-Real time WX, flight plans, etcetc, with moving map it's pretty nifty.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
prolly have to haul around the binders plus the e-bookbag too. in case the ipad shits the bed.

To start yes, but not long after you will ditch the binders. There are procedures being written on crew responsibility as far as having it charged, daily responsibilities, etc. I personally am not a fan.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Other services are using them, some Navy squadrons are using them. There is a push from PMA/Navair to potentially incorporate them into the aircraft as a digital nav bag holdover until PMA actually develops something half as useful and more cumbersome that will become the official solution.

There is too much usefulness and utility for it not to be authorized already.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Re: Maps. Are they using something in house from a contractor, or one of the commercially available ones?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
For our purposes most of the paid apps download charts in real time. Some store them as well. Also you can download anything you need/want from NGA as far as pubs, charts, etc.