• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No Naval Aviation for me...my sad story

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
So I've had this condition in my left eye called keratoconus for at least 7 years now. At least, that's how long it's been documented in my service record. I knew about it when I applied for STA-21. It was brought up at my STA-21 accession flight physical in Beaufort, SC. The flight surgeon there (not the opthalmologist) told me that it was a waiverable condition, so long as my visual acuity is correctable to 20/20. It was then, and still is now. I got my final flight physical done this past summer. Due to a series of incompetencies and staff deployments at the clinic here on Davis-Monthan AFB, along with some confusion about the NAMI requirements (vs. standard AF physical practices), it took three months to get my physical completed and signed. I turned it in two months ago. My commissioning was set for this past Friday, December 16th. As of Thursday morning, we hadn't heard anything from NAMI, only from BUMED saying that I'm commissionable. That morning, my CO, a USMC Colonel, called me into his office to speak with me. I knew that couldn't be good. He broke the news to me gently. He told me that NAMI had just called, and that my keratoconus disqualified me from flight. After numerous discussions between my ROTC unit and some officers at NAMI, (including some that went kinda like this: "WTF? Why is this coming up the day before his commissioning, when it's been documented in his record for years, and was on his first flight physical???"), a LCDR at NAMI asked for my entire medical record to be fed-ex'ed out to them overnight. Meanwhile, the Colonel discussed my predicament with BUPERS and NETC. Since I was NFO-option STA-21, and I now had no designator, I couldn't actually be commissioned. However, the Colonel managed to figure out a way to let me be in the commissioning ceremony, just as if I was actually being commissioned, since I had friends and family in for the event from all over the place. Basically, I was "frocked" as an Ensign, even though on paper, I'm nota an Ensign yet. Friday passed, and no word back from NAMI. Today, they gave the final word: No Waiver. Bastards. Can someone please tell me why NAMI's own website says that it is waiverable, but they won't grant me a waiver? I have 3 corneal topographies in my medical record, along with a history of eye exams that show that my condition has stabilized and is not progressing. I am correctable to 20/20. I don't get it.
So naturally, I'm bummed. Well, okay, that's quite an understatement. I'm still going to get commissioned, just in another field. After being a member of Airwarriors for over 2 1/2 years, I learned so much about Naval Aviation, and why I knew that this was the field for me. Not anymore.
But I'm a trooper. I've always said (on here too) that a Naval officer is first and foremost just that--a Naval Officer. And since I will still be commissioned, my supreme goal is still being met. I also know that I will excel in whatever field I decide to go into. So I'm not worried about that. I just really wanted to be an NFO. Oh well. Guess it just wasn't in the cards for me. I've been in long enough to know that the Navy doesn't always give you what you want, and I'm flexible. I'll be okay. Just gotta adjust my mindset. I've been thinking about my future as an NFO for a couple of years now. Gotta switch gears.
Maybe I should change my screen name. Just doesn't seem appropriate anymore.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a tough story and I'm sorry it isn't working out for you. Denial of waivers happen and it can be frustrating. Maybe there is a Flight Surgeon on the board that can give us some explaination of waivers and how/why NOMI chooses to decline to issue them sometimes. Have you looked into a special board of flight surgeons? (I don't even know if that is an option avail to STA21 guys/SNA's/SNFO's, or if it's just for Winged Aviators.)

Best of luck in whatever designator you accept, you've got a good attitude that will serve you well.

By the way, I say keep the screen name. I don't fly Hoover's anymore but it is part of my legend...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nfo2b said:
Can someone please tell me why NAMI's own website says that it is waiverable, but they won't grant me a waiver?
Sorry about your predicament, but to answer your question, just because a condition is waiverable, doesn't mean that it merits a waiver. While the timing sounds rather inopportune, it sounds like they went the extra mile to confirm by looking at your records and what not. I'm sure they have a valid reason for not granting you the waiver. As much as that might suck, it's time to buck up and press forward with the other options available to you.

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Keep your head up bro...

Life has a funny way of working itself out for the better. May not always be what or where youexpect, but you'll always get dropped off in a good spot.

"When life throws you lemons, get creative... make orange juice" -My mom

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I am sorry to hear of your bad news. It is indeed a bummer when one of us (AW types) does not get what they want.

My guess, based upon knowing some of the guys who have looked at waivers, is that they decided that since the condition is generally known to be a progressive condition, USN would be better off by not allowing you to fly.

PM me if you like and I can try to find out for sure.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry for the bad news. Looks like feddoc is giving some insight, but why it comes up when it did is frustrating. I have nothing against flight surgeons, but NAMI/NOMI is one of the top five on my "list." They did a bait and switch on me way back that was totally unsat. I was just lucky that we beat them at their own game.

Good luck with your next chapter, and let us know what you are heading for.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
I am really sorry to hear about that. The Col's all about breaking news gently, but it doesn't always make what he has to say any easier to hear at the time. Hopefully it will all work out for the best.
Congrats on graduation and getting commissioned! It's a great achievement either way.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't give up just because NAMI hit you with their "Whammy". Folks have reengaged later. Many NFOs entered that building with a pilot contract only to get the "Whammy". Rules change and a good track record counts for something. Gota get creative and don't lose your enthusiasm. HJ

ip568

None
That is truly tough luck and I feel for you. Nonetheless, congrats on getting your stripe.

Frankly, Navy medicine was and is a continuing clusterf**k. I had to apply to the Navy three times just to get in to AOCS because my 20/100 vision was beyond the max of 20/50. Finally got the waiver only because it was 1967 and JOs were getting shot-down in Vietnam at a terrible rate. Fast forward many years. I'm a Reserve squadron Dept Head and suddenly there's a letter from NAMI grounding me because I have hay fever. I've always had hay fever. The Navy knew it when I enlisted and they knew it every year at my flight physical (we had a full flight physical every year in the those days).
Some doofus LT at NAMI had decided to ground me and that was that. It took four months and a recommendation from the commodore to get a waiver for the hay fever I'd always had.

The Navy is the finest organization I've ever met. That said, it goes spastic every once in a while and good people get hurt for no reason. Best of luck to you in your Navy career.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Steve Wilkins said:
So does this mean you're gonna be a SWO?
Yes. Remember what I always said here: "Officer first, [insert-designator-here] second." I still believe that, and I will be just as happy driving ships and shooting big guns as I would have sitting in the back seat of an airplane. Well, almost as happy. So yeah, Steve, I'm joining the "other" club. Might be some issues there too, though. See my post over at sailorbob.com titled "Age Issues" (my screen name there is mustanger).