• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No P-8s at NUW? (merged thread)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/whidbey/wnt/news/116173499.html

Thought they had decided this already, with four squadrons here. It'll be interesting to see what plays out in the political scene if/when the rollout for the Poseidon finally begins. And what they're going to do with the VQ squadrons, if anything.

On the bright side, maybe now we can talk on the radios, and use our arresting gear in peace. :icon_tong

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
DIDN'T SEE THIS ONE COMING ...NUW & P-8 Poseidon not a fit ??

In spite of the incompetence of local political "leaders" and the business community "experts" who have demonstrated their expertise at "stepping over dollars to pick up pennies" for decades ... I'll have to admit: I didn't see this one coming.

Whidbey Loses Poseidon, Thousands of Jobs in Doubt

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/whidbey/wnt/news/116173499.html

Thought they had decided this already, with four squadrons here. It'll be interesting to see what plays out in the political scene if/when the rollout for the Poseidon finally begins. And what they're going to do with the VQ squadrons, if anything.

On the bright side, maybe now we can talk on the radios, and use our arresting gear in peace. :icon_tong
Knocked out of battery, AGAIN? My bad...

Hate to break it to you, you aren't getting RID of P3s... we are sending ALL of them to Whidbey. :D

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Hmm, the AW website went down soon after this thread got started... coincidence? Some kind of cosmic disturbance? Lesson learned: be very careful when posting bad news about VP :)

Jamin'G

pilot
Love some of the comments from the hippies on the article A-4s posted. "close the base, get rid of the Navy and their loud airplanes (Growler), and bring the property values up and make the baby seals happy." Methinks some of those individuals have NO idea the amount of money the Navy dumps into the local economy!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see a lot of qualifiers in the articles like how K-Bay and JAX are the 'first two' locations where P-8's will be stationed and not that Whidbey ain't ever going to get them. The base hasn't 'lost' the P-8's yet.....and yes, it is P-8A, not P8-A.

Interesting piece about combining VQ-1 and VQ-2, not sure how they would save 200 or so people unless they cut aircraft and crews, and I think there is specific language in the latest defense bill that they can't cut aircraft. That would be one big squadron, VQ-1 was the biggest operational squadron supposedly when I was in it with 550 or so people. A squadron of 800? Would an O-6 command it like the old days? Possibly the start of a long and painful road to the end of VQ(P) I think.