• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No way...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
tenor.gif

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
If memory serves, Armstrong was not yet commissioned when he departed on his combat cruise. I believe he was still a Midshipman or Aviation Cadet. And was flying missions while in this status!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If memory serves, Armstrong was not yet commissioned when he departed on his combat cruise. I believe he was still a Midshipman or Aviation Cadet. And was flying missions while in this status!
Nope.
On November 27, 1950, he was assigned to VF-51, an all-jet squadron, becoming its youngest officer, and made his first flight in a jet, a Grumman F9F Panther, on January 5, 1951. He was promoted to ensign on June 5, 1951, and made his first jet carrier landing on USS Essex two days later. On June 28, 1951, Essex had set sail for Korea, with VF-51 aboard to act as ground-attack aircraft. VF-51 flew ahead to Naval Air Station Barbers Point in Hawaii, where it conducted fighter-bomber training before rejoining the ship at the end of July.