• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

None braver...tribute to VT-8, Battle of Midway

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I believe this is from SteelJawScribe....

In every battle there is a moment when the combatants, and the world, seem to catch their breath. It is a fleeting moment, lost in the blink of an eye. But in that same blink, everything changes. Such moments are borne of desperation, of courage, of plain dumb luck. But they are pivotal - for what was before is forever changed afterwards.

Until 1019 on the morning of 4/5 June 1942, things had gone badly for the US and its allies. With few exceptions, the Allies were fighting a losing battle in the Pacific. Indeed, as events unfolded that morning, it appeared as of the rout was on. The attacks by land-based air forces from Midway had utterly failed culminating in the loss of many aircraft. The strikes by the torpedo aircraft were decimated - an entire squadron of TBDs shot down with only a sole survivor to claim witness. An entire airgroup missed the Japanese carriers and the battle altogether and of the remaining forces, they were scattered and disorganized. The future was looking grim. At 1019, Hiryu’s senior lookout shouted he had spotted dive bombers attacking Kaga from overhead. Despite being thrown into a hard turn, Kaga was struck by a 500 lb bomb and then successive strikes utterly crushed her…

At 1024 Soryu was struck a mighty series of blows…

At 1026, LT Dick Best led a flight of two other SBDs away from Kaga in an attack on Akagi. Attacking in a "V" formation from a right-hand turn, history held its breath as the first and third bombs dropped narrowly missed the carrier. But the second bomb, a 1,000 pounder from LT Best’s aircraft bore through the aft edge of the elevator and exploded in the upper reaches of the Akagi’s hangar bay, in the midst of the refueled/rearming aircraft parked there. In the blink of an eye, fate turned and three carriers lay burning.

To be sure the battle was not over and a dreadful price remained to be extracted from the American carriers. Likewise, Kido Butai had not seen the last of the Americans either and would pay the final price later that day.

Across a seaborne canvass that stretched over 176,000 sq nm, larger than the country of Sweden, the battle see-sawed back and forth. No other naval engagment has seen such breath-taking distances involved and few, short of a Trafalgar, have seen such a decisive turn of events. We honor, this coming week, our forebears who fought and gave their all in this signatory battle.

- SJS

BlkPny

pilot
In an age when the loss of a single helicopter due to simple mechanical failure makes the evening network news, the level of violence, carnage, and sheer bravery that took place on a regular basis in WW II is inconceivable to us today.

Think about the dedication and selflessness required of every crewman of Torpedo 8 when every single aircraft ahead of them was shot down, yet each pilot pressed the attack. These weren't aircraft being shot down, these were their squadronmates and best friends, dying before their eyes, yet they pressed the attack.

One night, my flight of 2 was held away from a target as we watched 5 Army helos get shot down in succession before they, the Army C&C ship, let us in to work. These were all strangers to us, and while not nearly on the scale of Midway, it was an incredibly moving experience, one I'll never forget.

No matter what, always honor bravery. Those guys at Midway (and others like them) set the standard for all of you.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Today is the 66th anniversary of the Battle of Midway. US Navy Torpedo Squadron 8 (VT-8) launched all 15 of their Devastators for an attack on the Japanese carriers. All 15 were shot down, all died but one, ENS George Gay. VT-8 also had a shore detachment of 6 Avengers (crew of 3) and 5 of the 6 were shot down. Only the pilot and radioman of the returning Avenger lived. So 45 brave men of VT-8 lost their lives that morning.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IsK1PeoMfNQ&feature=related

:( :flag:

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
does Midway come on tonight? I guess it doesn't matter, I got up this morning and went and purchased the DVD for 5 bucks. Now that is a steal!

On that note, what was that special movie that a director made for the relatives of the aviators of VT-8 ? It was home video shot of them onboard Hornet the days before Midway and it ends when they take off for their last flight. I would love to get a hold of it.

RIP and God bless everyone who gave their life on this day 66 years ago.

An EDIT...I should have watched the video before typing the second part of my Post ;)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of brave aviators in that battle.

To wit, my grandmother's brother, retired as a two star in the early 80s.

CIMG0039.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brave souls, indeed.

One of my Dad's brothers was in Torpedo 3 -- he was suppose to be on the SARATOGA but they were cross-decked to YORKTOWN while SARA was undergoing torpedo damage repairs and getting an overall upgrade in Bremerton -- so SARA ultimately missed the battle. My Dad's brother and most of his squadron did not survive the battle.

When remembering the heroic sacrifice of Torpedo 8, it's always important to remember the
sacrifice of the rest of the Torpedo Squadrons -- taken together, they sustained over 90% losses.

This is a picture of Torpedo 8 taken during it's join-up overhead the ship. If you look carefully, you can see other Hornet aircraft joining above them in the upper left of the pix -- probably VB/VS-8 or VF-8.

It's remarkable in that it shows all 15 Devastators joining overhead ... none of which would return. The next rendezvous they would have would be w/ Kido Butai and the pages of history ..

torpedoeightformuphb2.jpg

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Over Christmas I read The Unknown Battle of Midway: The Destruction of the American Torpedo Squadrons by Alvin Kernan. Check it out, it is a great read and really scrutinizes the battle and the coordination of the air groups. The book also talks in depth about the TBD Devastators.

unknown_battle_cover.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Over Christmas I read The Unknown Battle of Midway: The Destruction of the American Torpedo Squadrons by Alvin Kernan. Check it out, it is a great read and really scrutinizes the battle and the coordination of the air groups. The book also talks in depth about the TBD Devastators.

unknown_battle_cover.jpg

Just read this book as well and I agree, great read. Seemingly it felt as if VT-8 was the modern day 300 Spartans.

Yank

Waldron Has Always Been One Of My Heroes

Thanks for the video, bunk; that's truly moving. Waldron and his men, and in fact all of the men from the VT's at Midway have always been high on my list of great American heroes. Many people don't realize what an important part they played.