• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Norman Schwarzkopf's DFC

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know how General Norman Schwarzkopf earned his Distinguished Flying Cross? I saw on Wikipedia he has one but as far as I could tell it didn't have information on how he earned it. I'm just wondering the story behind it, not questioning it.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Remember wikipedia is made up solely of entries by the general public.

So should be taken with a grain of salt.

large-salt-pile-full.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thar she blows.

ribbon.jpg

Not unusual for Army infantry guys to sport Air Medals and even the DFC from the Vietnam era.

NormanSchwarzkopf.jpg

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I would hope he wouldn't add ribbons and medals he didn't earn for public pictures. This is a picture from Wiki, yes I take it with a grain of salt.

Looks like HJ beat me to it. :(

Attachments

• NormanSchwarzkopf medal.jpg
    NormanSchwarzkopf medal.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 56

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would hope he wouldn't add ribbons and medals he didn't earn for public pictures.
Given the profile of his assignments, I think the fur would have flown long ago if he'd have tried. Admiral Boorda killed himself over just such a thing in the early 90's; death before dishonor I guess.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I would hope he wouldn't add ribbons and medals he didn't earn for public pictures.
You are talking out of your ass. Gen. Schwartzkopf has/had no reason to wear unearned medals. As was already stated, many non-pilot Army officer were awarded DFC and Air Medals during the Viet Nam War. They use command and control helos as company. battalion and brigade commanders. Many ordered their helos into hot LZs to pick up wounded, join their troops, get in more ammo, etc. Further, they accumulated points for Strike/Flight Air Medals the same as anyone else in an aircraft on a combat mission. My Dad has an Air Medal from his tour as a non-pilot Army officer in Viet Nam.

Admiral Boorda killed himself over just such a thing in the early 90's; death before dishonor I guess.
Adm. Boorda did not wear a medal he was not entitled too. He worn a "V" on a medal he was given (either a NAM or NCM) during the Viet Nam war. His was an honest mistake resulting from a legitimate confusion over what was or was not authorized. Unfortunately, he thought he had dishonored himself and the Navy and felt he had no other way out. While I do not agree with everything he did as CNO, he was an honorable man who truly cared about his Sailors.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
You are talking out of your ass. Gen. Schwartzkopf has/had no reason to wear unearned medals.

Adm. Boorda did not wear a medal he was not entitled too. He worn a "V" on a medal he was given (either a NAM or NCM) during the Viet Nam war. His was an honest mistake resulting from a legitimate confusion over what was or was not authorized. Unfortunately, he thought he had dishonored himself and the Navy and felt he had no other way out. While I do not agree with everything he did as CNO, he was an honorable man who truly cared about his Sailors.
Hey easy please. I wasn't accusing him of wearing anything he didn't earn. I was just stating that for the grain of salt for stuff published in Wiki, which is where I snagged the picture from. I think the General is a great warrior and wouldn't dishonor the uniform. I didn’t mean to accuse him of such actions.

lmnop

I looked up to ADM Boorda, and was troubled by the fact that his main accuser was subsequently found to have worn/claimed two awards that he was not entitled to. ADM Zumwalt himself stated that Boorda's V devices were "appropriate, justified and proper", but it was too little too late. A tragedy all around IMO.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are talking out of your ass. Gen. Schwartzkopf has/had no reason to wear unearned medals.

Indeed. His Silver Stars were won the hard way. Someone who has risen to such rank and trust/confidence deserves benefit of doubt. He's been there, done that.

He also was first to rise from the ranks and become CNO. He promptly created the STA-21 program to enable others to do the same.

Some of his stances were drawing criticsm so the medal issue came at a very bad time. The press wouldn't let it go and the straw that broke the camel's back was David Hackworth smelling blood and coming for the kill.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
For the record, as I said, I wasn't trying to start a witch hunt, just was looking for an interesting story someone older and wiser than I might have known. I understand Wiki is to be taken with a grain of salt, but I figured that his photograph looked like a legitimate service picture, which did show him wearing the DFC.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Hey easy please. I wasn't accusing him of wearing anything he didn't earn. I was just stating that for the grain of salt for stuff published in Wiki, which is where I snagged the picture from. I think the General is a great warrior and wouldn't dishonor the uniform. I didn’t mean to accuse him of such actions.
OK, I'll buy that. No harm/no foul.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Likewise. I wasn't dogging on the Admiral, I just forgot that the confusion arose over devices rather than ribbons . . .

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
You are talking out of your ass. Gen. Schwartzkopf has/had no reason to wear unearned medals. As was already stated, many non-pilot Army officer were awarded DFC and Air Medals during the Viet Nam War. They use command and control helos as company. battalion and brigade commanders. Many ordered their helos into hot LZs to pick up wounded, join their troops, get in more ammo, etc. Further, they accumulated points for Strike/Flight Air Medals the same as anyone else in an aircraft on a combat mission. My Dad has an Air Medal from his tour as a non-pilot Army officer in Viet Nam.

Per HAL Pilot's comment: Below is an excerpt from the citation where Gen Schwarzkopf was presented the Distinguished Graduate Award from the West Point Alumni Association

"The middle years of his career were spent perfecting his military competence and leadership skills. After attending the Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, he again volunteered to serve in Vietnam, where he took command of an Infantry battalion of shattered morale and combat effectiveness. In six months of command, his inspired leadership and indomitable concern for the welfare of his soldiers restored unit confidence and brought tactical success to a revitalized battalion. Always with his troops at the point of heaviest combat, his valor and competence again were recognized with the award of his third Silver Star, the Legion of Merit, the Distinguished Flying Cross, seven Air Medals and his second Purple Heart for wounds in combat."

http://www.westpointaog.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=532

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
"Won" a Silver Star?

"Earned" a DFC?

What, is this the f*cking Olympics?
Easy there Killer. We understand you're Air Force and usually use the word "given"...... :eek:

J/k - I have much respect for our brothers in blue who have be "awarded" these honors.