• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Northrop Grumman/Bell 407 for Fire-X unmanned resupply

Flying Toaster

None
http://www.flightglobal.com/article...throp-offers-fire-x-concept-for-unmanned.html

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm just curious what the point is, or what the advantages of unmanned resupply are? Just because we can?

getAsset.aspx

^Credit: Northrop Grumman

I remember there was a similar thread but I wasn't able to find it, feel free to merge.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Same as for any other UAS. Unlimited crew day, no pilots at risk. More to the point, fewer of those pain in the ass pilots at all!

Flying Toaster

None
More to the point, fewer of those pain in the ass pilots at all!

Well now you put it that way, it makes perfect sense.... :D

On a second reading I noticed this-

"“We see a lot of interest in optionally piloted vehicles in the future,” Fuqua says. “That capability is resident there, and could be developed in the future."

Any idea what the cases would be when you would and wouldn't want a pilot?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Any idea what the cases would be when you would and wouldn't want a pilot?

Well, most airlines are "optionally piloted". . .I mean, cruising along at FLXXX you don't really need a human pilot to track on an airway. Takeoff and landing? Maybe more need for a pilot there, even if it is only for the "warm fuzzy" that's in it.

I'm pretty sure when the Admiral rides along, he would rather have a pilot in the seat than HAL 9000.

Troops in contact, requesting CAS? I think human in the loop wins out.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Think about how much it costs to train pilots, run the training bases, and fly training flights in the fleet. A UAV doesn't need currency or qualifications.