• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC and Intercollegiate Athletics

Doctor

Could anyone comment on the feasibility of competing in a varsity college sport while also being enrolled in NROTC? Would the demands of the sport (practices, travel, etc) make attending PT, Labs, mandatory fun, etc, an impossibility?

Thanks in advance,

Doc

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
It would certainly press your time. At one point we had a guy who was on the football team, but he eventually quit. Granted that he was also an engineer, and NROTC can take up a lot of time. But it may depend on the sport.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Doctor said:
Could anyone comment on the feasibility of competing in a varsity college sport while also being enrolled in NROTC? Would the demands of the sport (practices, travel, etc) make attending PT, Labs, mandatory fun, etc, an impossibility?

Thanks in advance,

Doc

I played lacrosse my first year of college and NROTC - and I can tell you it was too much. Ultimately one had to go. I think most people would agree that the two together are a tough road. As a scholarship NROTC Mid I knew which side my bread was buttered on - and appropriatly made NROTC the priority.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A girl in my class is on the cross country team. We have three freshmen on other teams too, but it remains to be seen how that's going to work out.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
At my school there is an OC on the football team, a MECEP Marine on the rugby team, another MECEP Marine on the soccer team, and an OC on the Cross Country team. Those are just the ones I know about.
Then again, us AD enlisted guys are used to time management :icon_tong

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lets see...I taught at the NROTC for almost three years, and I can tell you that you can make it work, but it's really tough. I saw guys and gals attempt sports their first year and it usually ended the same way. They either dropped NROTC or dropped sports. At some point, you'll have to decide which is more important; athletics or a commission.
ea6bflyr

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hell, they make it work at the Academy and if you're good enough, you have the possibility of getting let out of part of your committment. Talk about a sweet deal. Navy pays for your education, you get to play sports, and if you have the talent and skillz, you may get that one in a million shot.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Come on, Steve. Don't go all BOAT school on us..... ;)
(not that there's anything wrong with that lifestyle choice)

ea6bflyr