• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Essays (try #2)

anonymousgoat

After receiving commentary on my first essay (which I appreciate all of) from people on this forum and other places, I decided to completely rewrite my NROTC application essay. Posted below is my new NROTC essay for the first prompt, "Discuss your reasons for wanting to become a Naval Officer." All commentary/criticism is welcome. Thanks in advance!

1. Discuss your reasons for wanting to become a Naval Officer.
(2500 characters max)

I am in the cockpit of an F-18 Super Hornet, more than five stories high, and I haven’t even left the deck yet. I sit in the fighter, calm and cool despite the torrents of salt water that lap against the aircraft carrier’s hull and the gusts of wind that rock the ship back and forth. I am sitting alone in one of the world’s most powerful jets on the deck of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier, preparing for takeoff. I am a United States Naval Officer.

Inside the cockpit, my eyes dart between the different instruments, the gauges tell me all that I need to know, speaking in a tongue that only machines can speak and that only experts can understand. My hands move by themselves, endless hours of training makes their motions second nature, expertly flipping switches and turning knobs. Years of discipline quell the anxiety that begins to swell up inside my chest and keep my mind clear despite the swaying motion of the ship that makes my insides turn and tumble. The jet lurches forward and I move with it, like all the times in the simulations before, except this time my life and millions of dollars of equipment are on the line. Soon I will be in air, hurtling above the clouds faster than the speed of sound. My mouth dries up, my heart races, but I don’t worry. I am prepared. I am a United States Naval Officer.

As the jet races down the runway, my mind races through all the information it has accumulated from the different aviation courses I’ve taken and the various instruction books I’ve read, making sure that every aspect of my takeoff is immaculate. I reach the end of the runway; my heart jumps up into my throat as the jet’s wheels gently lift up from the deck in a tender goodbye…. I am airborne. For a brief moment, amazement overwhelms me. I am doing what I would dream about when I was six years old, clad in spaceship-decorated pajamas and lying on cloud-covered sheets. I am flying a jet. I am a United States Naval Officer.

This picture is how I envision my future: I am doing things that are only imaginable to me now. This picture is how I envision myself in the future: I am competent in my actions, confident in my abilities, and composed despite my fears. In truth, I don’t know whether I’ll be flying jets or sailing cruisers or commanding submarines. However, what I’m actually going to do is a detail, because I know whatever it is, it’ll be something great and I’ll be great at it. I’ll be a United States Naval Officer.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
About the only thing your first essay is going to be good for is office humor for whoever recieves it. Stick with the stuff you know, and about your personal info; that is what they are interested in.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Did this just happen?

Look:

What you can do for the Navy, what the Navy can do for you. List some examples of how you were a leader. What do you hope to gain from the NROTC experience? Why do you want to serve?

Simple and to the point, no dramatizations or fluff.

How do you know what you will feel or think when launching off the deck? It could be a simple "OH SHIIIIITTT"..I've not done it yet but that might be my first and only thought. You aren't yet qualified to use that kind of "There I was...dodging these two MIGs.." speech. The dude reading it might not react favorably to what you were trying to convey.

Also, you could end up a SWO if you go NROTC...they make Officers not pilots. If you want a guarantee of your designator, you're better off going BDCP or straight OCS route. Even then..there's that whole medically qualfied and flight school deal that's getting in the way of you launching off the 'cat. Not to mention booze,women, and college experience that get in the way too. ;)

Read the motivational statement thread on here, I know it's for OCS'ers and what not, but I'm sure it can apply to NROTC too. It can give you a good platform to launch your own statement. Good luck.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Liberace gay.

Seriously, talk about being a naval officer, not a jet pilot. It's ok to mention you're interested in going naval aviation, but you aren't guaranteed anything. Would you be ok with being a SWO or sub guy if you aren't qualified for aviation. If not, you need to rethink your priorities. Naval officer first, aviation second.

anonymousgoat

Well, at least I got a lot of feedback. :) I tried to do it like a Common Application essay (which, obviously it is not). I thought it was pretty good, but..... oh well, I guess I'll trust the public outcry. I'll probably just be submitting try #1 for my application, so feel free to read and comment that if you feel like being extra helpful. The link is http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149524. Thanks for reading it and giving me your honest opinions.

anonymousgoat

For the record, I am not set on being a jet pilot, nor was I trying to write this essay in order to improve my chances of becoming one. I tried to make that clear to the reader in the conclusion:
In truth, I don’t know whether I’ll be flying jets or sailing cruisers or commanding submarines. However, what I’m actually going to do is a detail, because I know whatever it is, it’ll be something great and I’ll be great at it. I’ll be a United States Naval Officer.
I was showing the reader that I wanted to be a Naval Officer because of what type of person it would turn me into (cool under pressure, well trained) and the things I would get to experience such as flying a jet OR going in a submarine OR sailing on a ship. I wrote it as a fictional personal narrative to make it more unique and interesting, and in order to get it to stand out more to the essay reader.

After reading both essays again I am not convinced that the first one is better than then the second. I know that the choice is ultimately up to me, but would anyone be willing to tell me which they think is better? Thanks.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
These are Naval Officers on here who told you to re-think your statement. Naval Officers will also be reading it to decide if they want to select you for their program. It's pretty unanimous when you have 4 Officer's of various stages in Naval Aviation all tell you the same thing.

You never write a statement telling a story. You write about what you can contribute and how the Navy will be better off with you in it. What in YOUR 2nd motivational statement sets you apart from the other candidate other than the reader can picture himself launching off the deck and happy to be a "United States Naval Officer".

I'm not saying your statement sucks, but you aren't trying to write a narrative for a recruiting poster. You aren't trying to get the reader "excited", you're trying to get someone to judge that you are a better applicant than someone else based on what they read of you.

Step back and ask yourself, do you want that statement to represent who you are?

anonymousgoat

You write about what you can contribute and how the Navy will be better off with you in it.
I wasn't trying to address how I would benefit the Navy, I was only trying to illustrate why I want to be a Naval Officer.

A second optional essay I also wrote addresses the prompt "How might your background and experiences enhance the US Naval Service?"(the link above has that essay on it). Do you think that my personal narrative essay is more appropriate given that it is coupled with a second essay, stating how I can help the Navy?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I wasn't trying to address how I would benefit the Navy, I was only trying to illustrate why I want to be a Naval Officer.

A second optional essay I also wrote addresses the prompt "How might your background and experiences enhance the US Naval Service?"(the link above has that essay on it). Do you think that my personal narrative essay is more appropriate given that it is coupled with a second essay, stating how I can help the Navy?

That should be read as you SHOULD write about how you can benefit the Navy. Clearly in your statement there is no such thing.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
While I read this I cannot help but think of the song "Distance" by Cake going through my head....reluctantly crouched at the starting line..... haha

Seriously though, Take the advice of the officers and other middies that posted on here. Personally I would rinse wash and rethink that essay. Just as I've seen a few already say... you are going to be a Officer first, Aviator (If you get that) second. The personal statement is almost a job interview of sorts.. or at least that is how I took it. The Navy wants to know what YOU bring to the table and why THEY should award you a full ride to school. And further more WHAT you plan on doing with your time.

It's all fine and dandy to want to fly fighters but keep a few things in mind.

- Aviation is NOT a guarantee
- Jets certainly are NOT a guarantee
- This scholarship is NOT a guarantee

You need to go into this application with that mindset... I would first and foremost take a step back and think about if you are copacetic with the possibility of not being in aviation by some chance.. If the answer is a yes, then are you ready and willing to bust your ass in school and the unit to do what you need to do to get that spot when service selection time comes?

Apply the same question to flight school then.. are you copacetic with not flying a F-18? And are you ready to get on the grind to get that top spot?

Address to the board your sincere (and I do mean sincere) desire to be a Naval Officer....sure you can branch off briefly and explain how you want to get into aviation because odds are there will be a few of those reading your app, but more or less you want to let the navy know why you are the best Man/Woman for the job and how their investment in you will pay out dividends.. When you rewrite the essay if you would like a proof read feel free to PM it to me.