• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC exceptance scores

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike172

GO NAVY
What did you guys have in terms of SAT, GPA, extra curicular ect. to get your scholarship. I may have the criteria wrong so, actually two question. 1) when applying for NROTC what do they look at. 2) what did you guys get on those requirments. Thanks.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
They might look at your ability to spell...

Edit: Let the official record show that, while user "HueyCobra8151" may have been able to post in a more expedient manner, user "KBayDog" was also going to post in a similar fashion - and should therefore deserve some sort of partial credit.

I grant thee, one-half of a wiseass award for this thread.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
mike do some searches on the forum. THere is a lot of info on here with regards to that.

SlickAg

pilot
Mike:

1470 SAT (710 M 760 V)
~3.92 GPA
NHS, clubs, Captain of the Lacrosse team, etc

I forgot what it's called, but I didn't have to compete for mine, I got one of the 10 that each recruiting district is authorized to hand out at their discretion. I think they look for well-rounded people who show an aptitude for academic success and leadership. You also get the chance to write a personal statement and two teacher recommendations.

hobbs053

Treading the deep end of the A-pool
Mike, I got a 1290 SAT (600M, 690V). 3.9 GPA, student council, football, weightlifting, other extracurricular activites, excellent interview and great letters, according to the ROTC officer. Didn't get offered the scholarship. I was from pensacola so i imagine it may have been competitive. Did get an appointment to Kings Point. I took it. Nearly free education. Commissioning in June, SNA, returning to pcola in July. So what? there's always a way to make it happen, even if you gotta go 12 states out of the way. Good luck.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Mike,

I had a 1430 SAT (760V, 670M), decent GPA (I honestly don't remember what my HS GPA was), edited the yearbook, was in NHS and a bunch of other extracurricular activities.

Never did any sports but I guess that wasn't the part of my application they concentrated on.

Solid recommendations from teachers & my employer.

I don't remember much of the interview or what I wrote in the essays. Anyway I picked up the 4-Year Scholarship and will be starting my 1/C year in the fall.

If you have questions that aren't answered elsewhere on the forum or want something specific about life in NROTC feel free to PM me.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
I honestly didn't think I would win a scholarship--usually I can walk out of an interview and know if I have it or not, but this one I didn't think I had...

SATs 1350 (M 710, V 640)
GPA 3.8
Emergency Medical Technician, Pilot's License, Model UN, and Amateur Pentathlete

I didn't have many leadership positions in school (I actually have more as a college freshman, than I did as a senior in high school). They don't want a compulsive joiner- that is someone who joined EVERYTHING for the sake of resume building. Just have a few passions, work hard in school, and the rest is dependent upon what they're looking for at the time...

Good luck! LG

BurbPunk

SAT: 1360 (560M, 800V)
GPA: 3.9
29 out of 290

4 yrs Marine JROTC (2nd Lt.) Track, XC, rec soccer, Model UN, youth group, Eagle Scout, editor of school paper, plenty of clubs (lots of leadership positions) and good references.

If anyone who reads this is in JROTC, I would strongly advise going to the interview in uniform; it gives them a positive attitude from the start.

They seem to look for leadership and a real desire to serve. It also helps to be well read and physically fit. Hope this helps.

f/a 18 man

Mike,
I just recieved my scholarship is Feb

ACT:24
GPA:3.9

I did a lot of extra curriculars, including hockey for 10 years, wrestling, president of a few clubs, and lots of community service and leadership awards. I was told by my advisor that they would rather see someone who is well rounded in areas of leadership and sports then just grades. He told me a story of a guy who had 1450 on the SAT and didn't get accepted because he was not well rounded. Personally I think that your extracurriculars and GPA far out weigh your SAT, at least it did for me. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.