• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC - Marine option

tm_hodge

I was wondering how competitive the Marine option of NROTC is. Do many of the candidates get to fly or is there more need for officers on the ground?

tm_hodge

NROTC-Marine option

I was wondering if anyone could give me a gauge on how competitive the Marine option of NROTC is? what are GPA and SAT requirements ? Do you get to choose which field you'll go into after being commissioned? Any information would be helpful. I'm getting ready to apply for all of the ROTC programs. I would like to go into aviation or intelligence.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I was wondering if anyone could give me a gauge on how competitive the Marine option of NROTC is? what are GPA and SAT requirements ? Do you get to choose which field you'll go into after being commissioned? Any information would be helpful. I'm getting ready to apply for all of the ROTC programs. I would like to go into aviation or intelligence.

1. Fairly competitive, but not impossible. You're doing the right thing by applying for all options, although I would include the academies. You'll have some other options in college as well to include PLC (Marines), BDCP (navy) and some others. Cast a wide net.

2. "The requirements" and what will get you selected are probably widely separated. Either way, I don't know them so I won't speculate.

3. You can ask for whatever field you want. You'll get what you get. You can get an air contract that will specify that you'll go to flight school in either ROTC or PLC. All other fields are selected after The Basic School based on performance, availability, and timing. Needs of the Marine Corps come first.

Poke around a little on here using the saerch function and you'll find a ton of information already supplied on all of these programs.

Good luck!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The rub of Marine-Option NROTC is that you won't be able to apply for the aviation contract until well into college. On the plus side, you have a pretty good chance of getting aviation.

As far as intelligence fields, you just have to stay a ground contract and complete for a slot with everyone else at TBS. Be warned, intelligence is not nearly as cool as it sounds. Not as much James Bond as Jane's.

tm_hodge

I've already finished my first year of college and I have a 3.3 GPA. I'm a political science major I don't know if that would affect what field I would be assigned to. To be honest with you this is something I've always felt I wanted to do since I was a kid, plus I need help with the cost of college. I'm interested in hearing more about this contract if anyone has information

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Go see your local Marine Officer Selection Officer (OSO). He will be the main person who can best help you with what you want. Search around the site first, then go see him.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm a political science major I don't know if that would affect what field I would be assigned to.

For better or worse, the Marine Corps cares little, if at all, about what your major is.

Contact a Marine Officer Selection Officer--he'll have info on all the Marine programs.

phrogpilot73

Contact a Marine Officer Selection Officer--he'll have info on all the Marine programs.
And before you come back on here saying that you talked to a really nice Sgt who's going to get you into an officer program, but that enlisting in the reserves is gonna be necessary first... Here's the contact info for the Phoenix OSO:

USMC OSO Phoenix
1 North 1st Street Suite 302
Phoenix, AZ 85004-2360
(602)257-0310