• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Notre Dame leadership conference

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
I have been delegated along with a buddy to go to this conference, March 2-5. Is anyone else going to this. Anyone know what the weather is like at Notre Dame in early March..Snow??? It should be interesting, some SgtMaj's and the MCPO of the Navy Terry Scott will be there.

Jagges

jagges84 said:
Anyone know what the weather is like at Notre Dame in early March...

Should be cold and snowy. I've never been, but haven't heard good things about the "downtown" area...not sure if you are even of age to enjoy that kind of stuff though. Can't beat getting away from the daily grind for a couple days on the Navy's dollar either. Go have a good time and try to walk away having learned something would be my advice. Look at it as an opportunity to distinguish yourself from your peers.

jai5w4

KBayDog

jai5w4 said:
Look at it as an opportunity to distinguish yourself from your peers.

I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. It should be used as an opportunity to INTRODUCE yourself to your peers. A lot of folks - both from ND and around the country - attend the conference; use it as an opportunity to meet and greet the professionals you will leading Marines and Sailors with in a matter of months.

I went to the conference a few years back; it was a good time, but COLD! Bring a camera.

KBayDog said:
I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. It should be used as an opportunity to INTRODUCE yourself to your peers...

I meant distinguish yourself from the peers at the unit sending you...we oft speak about which person is standing out from the rest...this is an opportunity, if seized, to do so.

jai5w4

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
This should go without saying, but seeing as how your in Tampa, pack warm. A decenlty warm jacket, gloves and snow-worthy shoes will do (no sandals). Unless your spending more than say 7 hours outside at one time, that should do you fine. Early March is weird there, it could be 20 below or up around 50. And remember, Punxsutawney Phil called for 6 more weeks of winter.

jagges84

No sandals!!!!!!! I dont know if I can do that. Hehe. If I cant wear sandals and shorts year round, I aint living there. Hehe. With snow, do you think corframs will suck (for uniform, not for civvies hehe)? They are low cut, will snow get into my feet. That would suck. We are in khakis all week, except for a black tie dinner.

I am a native Texan, and now in Florida. I'm new to the whole snow thing. Only been in thick snow on a ski trip.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
If you're of age, they do have a few good bars, I was out there for my cousin's wedding last summer. The strange thing is that they're all away from campus.This was beyond my comprehension coming from State College, where the bars are literally half a block off campus.

If you have free time, the College Football hall of fame (its right downtown) was pretty cool.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
You should be fine, I'm sure they keep the streets and sidewalks pretty well cleared. Unless, of course, your planning to go play in the snow in your khakis. I spent 4 years in Pittsburgh (pretty much same weather as ND) walking around in Bates.

jagges84

Yes I am of age. I do plan to go out and see the place. I'm looking forward to getting to know Mids from all over the place. Its always good to have connections, and also lets you know who you are "competing" against.

Best of all, its all on the Navy's dime. I hardly go above the Mason-Dixon. Was in Boston last spring for a weekend. Before that, lived in Pittsburgh for a few years, but I was too young to remember much. Should be good times.

billiken2002

pilot
Hey, I go to Purdue, which is just 2 hours from ND. Besides this week, we have had a very mild winter...40-50 degrees and snow once. So it could be pretty nice for ya. I went to the conference last year, and it was a good time. It was a great opportunity to meet the other mids from around the country and see how things are run differently at their units. The dinner on Saturday was definitely a highlight...in a reception room at the ND football Stadium. But weather wise, it was nice last year...I went running in shorts and a long-sleeve t-shirt. But that could be drastically different last year, so plan for 40's, but expect 50's.

nrotcbruin

I went two years ago, it was a really good experience. Plus my unit paid for everything. I made the mistake of not bringing my jacket since it rained the whole time I was there.

The only thing I regret is not mingling with more of the other mids. I basically stuck with the mids from my school and a few I knew from CORTRAMID