• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Scholarship

navygirlmom

My daughter was just notified that she is a recipient of a 2009 NROTC
scholarship. She is currently a freshman at PLNU which is part of the
San Diego unit.They have assigned her to UCLA which was her 2nd choice. She has put in a request to be assigned to San Diego and was
told that unit is already full for the 09' year and that she is on a waiting
list.Had she known about the scholarship decision before the college apps. deadline closed she would have applied to UCLA for next year.She is frustrated as are her parents about this situation. This is her dream to
serve and honor her country.They will notify her in May about the transfer
request. Any comments-suggestions?

She might be able to do college program (NROTC without a scholarship) at PLNU and try to pick up a 3 year scholarship later on.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Sometimes they have to do a bit of Administrative work transferring scholarships, but it usually works out. I originally had my ROTC scholarship to Duke, but had already agreed to go to GW, so the Navy moved my scholarship to GW -- it just took a bit of time on the waiting list. In the meantime, I filled out my applications to the GW NROTC Unit as a college programmer until my scholarship transferred over. It all worked out for me, so hopefully this helps!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Man, times have changed. I was to pretty much "go to one of these 50 schools or one near them and we'll pick up the tab."

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
If she put UCLA as her second choice, why didn't she apply there?

It is a REQUIREMENT to apply to all five schools on your list. Since she received early selection, she can call the admissions office at UCLA and they will probably communicate with the local unit to accomodate the situation. Either that or she can pay for college for a year and participate in the NROTC Program and wait for the paperwork to work itself out. The 7 P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Not to be taken the wrong way but when working with the military, the only certainty is that things will not go as originally planned.

exhelodrvr

pilot
My daughter was just notified that she is a recipient of a 2009 NROTC
scholarship. She is currently a freshman at PLNU which is part of the
San Diego unit.They have assigned her to UCLA which was her 2nd choice. She has put in a request to be assigned to San Diego and was
told that unit is already full for the 09' year and that she is on a waiting
list.Had she known about the scholarship decision before the college apps. deadline closed she would have applied to UCLA for next year.She is frustrated as are her parents about this situation. This is her dream to
serve and honor her country.They will notify her in May about the transfer
request. Any comments-suggestions?

Went through something similar with my son. He did not get accepted at his first choice, got accepted at his second choice, but the unit was full. He went on waiting list for the scholarship - they said that there was a reasonable chance he would get in, but they would not tell us where he was on the list of "waiters". In the meantime he applied (late) for his third choice (in the UC system), and was accepted there. They had room in the unit, he took the scholarship there, and it ended up really well for him. (He is a senior now, did well academically, enjoyed the ROTC unit, and got his first choice of aviation for service selection.)

In the discussions with the Navy (I don't remember if this was the local ROTC recruiter, or the ROTC admin headquarters) they said that once the academic year starts, they will not give someone a scholarship, even if someone else drops out of the program at that point.

So I would suggest the following:
Don't give up the application for UCLA; call their admissions office and you may be able to get in late. Explain the fact that your daughter has been approved for an ROTC scholarship there. That seemed to help in our case.

Look at third choices; there are other schools in the L.A. area (if the preference is to be close to San Diego) that have ROTC, and a whole lot of options if staying in SoCal is not a priority. Since she already has the scholarship, they may be willing to bend the rules as far as application deadline.

She can still be part of the unit on a non-scholarship basis, and then apply for the scholarship for next year.

sbpilot

I went through the process of being denied to UCLA, but received the scholarship which got me into the school off of an appeal last year. You should have no problem. I can put you in direct contact to the person you need to talk to in order to get in, so PM me and I'll be glad to help in any way.

Edit: That is if she wants to go to UCLA. It is a great school and great ROTC unit.