• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Summer Cruise

Airyk17

I heard a little about something called a summer cruise as a requirement for the NROTC scholarship and was wondering if I could find out more.
What is the purpose.
What year do you do it.
do you do it more than once.
and pretty much anything else I should know about it
thanks.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I heard a little about something called a summer cruise as a requirement for the NROTC scholarship and was wondering if I could find out more.
What is the purpose.
What year do you do it.
do you do it more than once.
and pretty much anything else I should know about it
thanks.

i hear it is a lot of fun. i think its for a month every summer after your freshman, sophomore and junior years. the navy sends you to do some activity. for some years its a cruise, other years its something else. anyways, i haven't seen anyone complain that it was awful, so i don't think it is something to worry about. the purpose is obviously training and so you get an idea of which community you would like to commission into, if you haven't already decided.

USF_Bull

I'll complain! 2/c cruise (enlisted cruise), stuck on a ship in Norfolk. Miserable place, miserable boat, 115* heat wave that black flagged PT before 0530. No wind, 1 mile walk from the ship to the gym. 1.3 mile walk to the only building with public internet access. 1.5 mile walk to the NEX. 1.7 mile walk to the Applebees (the only decent food near the ship). Most miserable month of my life...

However, my 1/c cruise with HSL42 in Mayport, FL was by far the best month of my life.

Fly Navy!

Random Task

pilot
3rd class cruise is CORTRAMID- 4 weeks long...1 week with each community (aviation, sub, surface, marine) basically an intro into the major warfare communities

2nd class cruise is enlisted cruise... can be anywhere from 1-6weeks (mostly 3-4 weeks) either sub or surface. Usually sub cruise people get treated like officers rather than enlisted where as on a surface cruise you get treated more like enlisted

1st class cruise is your Junior Officer introduction where you will have a JO running mate. Aviation, Surface or Sub. Some guys went out with seal teams but that's rare. Best cruise ever...personally went on a aviation...got to go to Australia and flew in the Rhino.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'll complain! 2/c cruise (enlisted cruise), stuck on a ship in Norfolk. Miserable place, miserable boat, 115* heat wave that black flagged PT before 0530. No wind, 1 mile walk from the ship to the gym. 1.3 mile walk to the only building with public internet access. 1.5 mile walk to the NEX. 1.7 mile walk to the Applebees (the only decent food near the ship). Most miserable month of my life...

I don't know, sounds like a pretty good experience to tuck away. That sounds pretty standard for a junior enlisted sailor on a ship. No doubt it wasn't fun, but just one more thing to remember on how "our" life is "better" in many ways.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

However, my 1/c cruise with HSL42 in Mayport, FL was by far the best month of my life.

Fly Navy!

What phase did you go to -42? I was with -48 this summer, 2nd phase. Feeding the snake was awesome!