• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Unit Change

KatieH

I'm new to the thread as a user, but have been reading your posts for some time. I need some help! I found out yesterday that I have been selected for the 4 year NROTC scholarship. I would be ecstatic except for the fact that I have been assigned to the UNC unit rather than my first choice, Penn State. I am drafting a letter to request a change, and would appreciate any advice. In case you're wondering, I did not get accepted to UNC but I have been accepted to PSU.

whalepelt

Just explain your situation and be professional. It was no big deal when I had to get mine moved. I would advise getting it out ASAP though. You wouldn't want Penn State to hit their number of scholarships before you get it in.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm new to the thread as a user, but have been reading your posts for some time. I need some help! I found out yesterday that I have been selected for the 4 year NROTC scholarship. I would be ecstatic except for the fact that I have been assigned to the UNC unit rather than my first choice, Penn State. I am drafting a letter to request a change, and would appreciate any advice. In case you're wondering, I did not get accepted to UNC but I have been accepted to PSU.

What whalepelt said.

Get it in as soon as you can and be professional. They should be able to accomodate you. I changed my first choice school during the fall of my senior year after I already had the scholarship. It wasn't even a reason as legit as yours, I decided that I didn't want to go to Notre Dame as my first choice and had them change it for me. Happened pretty quickly, too!

Good luck.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Katie,
I was a NROTC instructor at PENN STATE and because it is still early in the game, they might be able to switch you over.

Contact the NROTC (814-865-NAVY (6289)) unit and talk with Shawnie (Recruiting Officer). She can give you the down and dirty. You will also need to talk with NETC and let them know you'd like to switch. Talk to the NROTC FIRST, then NETC.

There is usually a waiting list to transfer scholarships. One year all the people on the list got transferred and another year no one was able to transfer. If you are unable to transfer your scholarship to PENN STATE and you do decide to go there, you will not be on scholarship and you will have to compete for a 3.5/3/2 year scholarship.

Hope this helps.

-ea6bflyr ;)

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Katie,
I was a NROTC instructor at PENN STATE and because it is still early in the game, they might be able to switch you over.

Contact the NROTC (814-865-NAVY (6289)) unit and talk with Shawnie (Recruiting Officer). She can give you the down and dirty. You will also need to talk with NETC and let them know you'd like to switch. Talk to the NROTC FIRST, then NETC.

There is usually a waiting list to transfer scholarships. One year all the people on the list got transferred and another year no one was able to transfer. If you are unable to transfer your scholarship to PENN STATE and you do decide to go there, you will not be on scholarship and you will have to compete for a 3.5/3/2 year scholarship.

Hope this helps.

-ea6bflyr ;)

I know about 3 and 2 yr scholarships, but what is a 3.5 yr scholarship?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know about 3 and 2 yr scholarships, but what is a 3.5 yr scholarship?

The 3.5 is a Leadership Scholarship the PNS has at his bidding. Usually awarded to the MIDN with the greatest leadership potential.

-ea6bflyr ;)

KatieH

flyr- You suggested contacting the Coordinator at PSU. I actually have a call in to her. I also have an email drafted for NETC- I was planning on sending that to them asap. Why do you think I should talk to PSU first? Also, any words of advise if I do make it to the PSU unit?

And thanks to everyone's suggestions - they have helped.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
flyr- You suggested contacting the Coordinator at PSU. I actually have a call in to her. I also have an email drafted for NETC- I was planning on sending that to them asap. Why do you think I should talk to PSU first? Also, any words of advise if I do make it to the PSU unit?

And thanks to everyone's suggestions - they have helped.

PSU NROTC will tell you how many people are on the wait list....and give a realistic outlook as to you getting the scholarship transferred. Plus she might be able to work the situation from her side as well.

Advice: Make sure you are in-shape. Remedial PT eats up a lot of your time....not a place you want to make an impression. Communicate with your advisor. Good luck.

-ea6bflyr ;)

KatieH

Well, I already received responses from the PSU coordinator and NETC. I'm wait listed for Penn State. Th coordinator was fairly positive as it's still early. - Flyr, any guesses on my chances?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I already received responses from the PSU coordinator and NETC. I'm wait listed for Penn State. Th coordinator was fairly positive as it's still early. - Flyr, any guesses on my chances?

Did the coordinator tell you where you were on the wait list? Because it's early, your chances are very good. The higher you are on the list, the better your chances.

-ea6bflyr ;)

gotta_fly

pilot
For what it's worth, I've heard from the instructors at my unit (Holy Cross) that the number of applicants seems to be down this year, so you may have that in your favor as well. Good luck to you!

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
For what it's worth, I've heard from the instructors at my unit (Holy Cross) that the number of applicants seems to be down this year, so you may have that in your favor as well. Good luck to you!

what did they mean by the number of applicants are down? do they mean that there are fewer nrotc scholarship applicants? or that fewer applicants to holy cross?

gotta_fly

pilot
I think they meant the number of people entering our unit was low so far. Not sure how the overall numbers (Holy Cross admissions) look right now.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I think they meant the number of people entering our unit was low so far. Not sure how the overall numbers (Holy Cross admissions) look right now.

i applied to holy cross too for fall 2008 but haven't heard back.

what are you majoring in there? (i ask because holy cross doesn't offer engineering at all, which would have been my 1st choice)