• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Unit questions

tiger1289

I am new to Air Warriors but have read many post the last couple of days. I will be entering college next fall as a college program student. The two colleges I am really looking at are Auburn and Ole Miss but I am also considering Georgia Tech and NC State. I’m hoping I will be able to pick up a scholarship after the first year, that is my main goal. I have always wanted to be a Naval Officer. I have found some information on the units at GT and NC State but don’t know much about Auburn or Ole Miss. Does anyone know what these units are like? I talked to the recruiting officer at both schools, but would like anyone's opinions on these schools. I was also wondering if there are any advantages of a large unit vs. a small unit or small vs. large? Thanks

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
I graduated from Auburn this past May and I loved it there. It is a larger unit with something like 170-190 OC, MIDN and MECEPs. There is a huge MECEP and OC presence, especially from the Nuke community. I came in as college program student and picked up a scholarship my first year. Rule of thumb that I have seen is if you have a 3.0 and haven't managed royally screw up, the staff will work to get you the scholarship. Most people had no trouble picking it up.

If you have more specific questions just ask or PM me.

Get in contact with the units and see if you can spend a few days shadowing a mid to see what it's like, to PT, drill, etc. That should help you decide which is a better fit.

The_Commodore

Pavement sucks
They all suck except NC State.

No, but seriously, I know nothing about GT, Ole Miss, or Auburn. I'm at NCSU right now and love it, so you can shoot me a pm if you want to ask any questions.

Orion4life

Ole Miss has about 50 Midshipmen. I'm a 4/C here and have loved every minute of it. PM me if you want to know more.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
Another NC State grad here. In my opinion, it was a pretty big unit and I enjoyed it that way. Gave you the chance to meet and get to know a lot of different people from different parts of the Navy and Marine Corps.

The_Commodore

Pavement sucks
Another NC State grad here. In my opinion, it was a pretty big unit and I enjoyed it that way. Gave you the chance to meet and get to know a lot of different people from different parts of the Navy and Marine Corps.
Right. I would guess that we have about 120 MIDN, OCs and MECEPS right now. We're not as big as some schools, but Duke and UNC only have about 50 each.

Airyk17

I I will be entering college next fall as a college program student.... I’m hoping I will be able to pick up a scholarship after the first year, that is my main goal.

Its November with plenty of time to get a good NROTC packet in if you work at it, why are you planning on college program?

tiger1289

The local recruiter I talked to said that my verbal score on the SAT was too low to apply for the scholarship. I’m not sure if I should go ahead and try anyway. I have a 3.75 GPA, and I am only taking honors and AP courses throughout high school. I am on three varsity sport teams and involved in student government. But my verbal score is 20 points too low (500 verbal, 710 math). I have taken the SAT three times and gotten the same verbal score. Should I apply anyway? He told me that my package would not be reviewed without a higher SAT verbal score. Thanks for the help.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The local recruiter I talked to said that my verbal score on the SAT was too low to apply for the scholarship. I’m not sure if I should go ahead and try anyway. I have a 3.75 GPA, and I am only taking honors and AP courses throughout high school. I am on three varsity sport teams and involved in student government. But my verbal score is 20 points too low (500 verbal, 710 math). I have taken the SAT three times and gotten the same verbal score. Should I apply anyway? He told me that my package would not be reviewed without a higher SAT verbal score. Thanks for the help.

You should not even be talking to a recruiter, let alone taking his "advice". Turn off your computer (after finding the phone # for the NROTC unit you want to join), and get on the horn with one of their unit advisors. They will fill you in on the info you need to know. That said, even if your SAT really was too low to be competitive for a scholarship, if you keep up the hard work (like it seems you have been doing), you should not have a problem picking up a scholarship at least within the first couple of terms of school if you choose to enter as a College Program middie. Yeah it sucks to pocket those couple terms of tuition, but you will have the rest of college to pay them off most likely.

As a side note, for the hell of it I went and talked to a recruiter right as I was about to graduate from high school....he was sitting there in the courtyard during lunch so I thought "why not?". In a few more words he basically told me that I would never be qualified to serve as a pilot, and suggested that I consider enlisting for some "experience". It might have been disheartening if it hadn't been so hilariously transparent. Fast forward 7 years, and I am now finishing up with primary as an SNA......so I guess you can see just about how much quality info they have for you.

EDIT: I double checked the NROTC website, and it does indicate that the qualifying scores for SAT are 530 verbal, 520 math, composite 1000. Beyond that, you still do need to be talking to an NROTC representative, as they can amplify this information and help you figure out what you need to do to get into the program.

Immy

Make sure you're talking to an NROTC Coordinator/Recruiter, not an enlisted.

I actually only completed my first page a long time ago on the online app, and my local NROTC recruiter sent me an e-mail saying that if I finished it this past weekend I could be in for the Dec. 8th boards. I didn't think they would show any initiative trying to get people to apply, considering it's pretty selective. He also said last year the 4 year scholarship had a 50% acceptance rate.