• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC unit reps

Charles

Just thought I'd see what opinions were out there on some of the more prominent nrotc units in the country. Which ones are thought to generally produce locked-on/professional Officers, which ones have good reputations in the fleet for supplying good JOs, how each unit's program differs things like that. Also what are the largest units and most sought after?

Not meant to start a "my-unit-is-better-than-yours" type discussion, but just throw out some thoughts and opinions on the way they're all a little different.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
To be honest.....

I don't think it really matters. I've met awesome people from many different schools, the same goes for $hitbags as well. Pick a school that you will fit into or pick an nrotc unit that you feel comfortable in.

-Noze

Oh, but Purdue kicks @ss :icon_smil

Charles

haha, no, I know it doesn't matter, I'm just bored and thought I'd see how things differ from place to place. Maybe things don't.

I've attempted to get a sense of this very subject from each Midshipman I meet from other units. It appears to me there are really big units (200-300+), really small units (25) part of "parent" units, and those in between...like Missouri (80-90)...where I'm attending school. Size does matter, in my opinion. In my opinion (and having talked to others out there), if the unit is too big you have a greater chance to get lost in the masses and miss out on developing meaningful, personal relationships with the unit staff (something I value highly). Too small and you are tossed around from billet to billet without hesitation because you are one of a small number that can/have to fill the slots.

I believe my unit's size (about 80something) is ideally conducive to developing a well-rounded Ensign/1st LT. It is big enought that: 1) you are exposed to enough people and situations, 2) have enough OC's and MECEP's to give you a better taste of the fleet and working with enlisted folks, 3) don't get "lost in the crowd" of 200-300 other Midshipmen (not saying it's a bad thing to have a big unit...but in my opinion there are more less-desireable characteristics than desireable about being a part of one)...Brett, you're at USD, right? Chime in here and let me know if i'm way off...

...and yet it is small enough that: 1) you aren't receiving a billet every semester out of necessity of filling slots. The billets you recieve are generally given to you out of more than simple necessity...the billets you recieve at my unit are for a good reason, they are given to individuals that have earned them or need them. Met a Mid this summer that had served in almost every major billet during his tenure at his small school. He conveyed a sense of meaningless from one billet to another. Now I realize this is also just his opinion, but I can understand how one would tend to lose a sense of pride or accomplishment after having been given billet after billet. That being said, there are those Midshipmen that consistantly recieve billets, even at my unit's size. 2) you are able to develope a more personal relationship with the officers stationed at your unit. I value highly the relationships I have formed with several of our unit staff members...directly as a result of, in my opinion, my unit's size and the size of a class as it moves through the 4 years in NROTC. We started out with 30 and will graduate approximately 10-12 when it's all said and done. Personally, I feel the guidance recieved from the unit staff is one of the most important tools I have in my "kit" of leadership developement. Additionally, I feel I was better able to sit down and have detailed discussions with my advisors with more frequency and length than those Midshipmen attending a larger school.

It is my firm belief that size matters when it comes to NROTC units.

For me, Missouri has offered a great combination of leadership opportunities backed by sound guidance from the unit staff. They are involved enough with the battalion that they see you that you don't mess up too bad, yet allow you to make mistakes and benefit from the lessons they can offer. The motto around here from the unit to the battalion staff is, "It's your battalion." This is not always adheared to, but I don't think it could be expected to be either. It is also my opinion that our Midshipmen are generally NOT the social hand grenades you will undoubtedly encounter along your NROTC travels. We are able to carry on intelligent, tactful conversations with officers/enlisted and yet know when to let loose and have a good time. Oh! That's another point I'd like to make. There are units are out there that embody the stereotypical "this is the military, don't smile, you puke!" attitude...and those that are are so laid back that their Midshipmen lack developement of "professionalism."

Long answer, but I hope it helps.

jai5w4 :icon_smil

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jai5w4 said:
...It appears to me there are really big units ...really small units ... Size does matter, in my opinion ... if the unit is too big ... I believe my unit's size is ideally conducive to developing a well-rounded Ensign ... It is big enought that ... not saying it's a bad thing to have a big unit...and yet it is small enough that ... even at my unit's size ...you are able to develope a more personal relationship with the officers stationed at your unit. I value highly the relationships I have formed with several of our unit staff ... my unit's size ... It is my firm belief that size matters when it comes to units.

Long answer, but I hope it helps.
Will you please stop talking about the size of your unit? :D

Brett (and, by all means, leave me out of it :D )

Brett327 said:
Will you please stop talking about the size of your unit? :D

Brett (and, by all means, leave me out of it :D )

Ha freaking ha. Very funny. Just trying to offer a little advice...didn't mean to create any excessive entanglement (good poli-sci catch phrase...) between any unit and yourself :)

jai5w4

Hard to go into any specifics...but they always offer sound suggestions and have different takes on how to accomplish any given obstacle (i.e. they don't think like us Mids). Often they offer an outside-the box-idea that we would have overlooked otherwise.

Their real-life experiences and stories add to most all of the briefs we get, whether it's drug/alcohol or SWO briefs, they can always tie together the brief with a good sea story (thus allowing the battalion to see that stuff like that really/will happen(s) and we aren't just getting power-pointed to death for no good reason.

They are also more willing than fellow Mids to offer up corrections when one messes up. It's benefitial to have them as part of the battalion b/c they can offer advice without making one feel too intimidated (as opposed to the unit staff [officers] offering the same) or too awkward. Plus, most are people you can look up to and gain leadership tools from (everyone has a different leadership style and you can take bits and peices for your own...thus learning what works for you and what doesn't...)

Think of them as camp counselors of sort; they have been there, done that...but they are going through it with you...they offer guidance, often without repercussions or bad feelings...but won't just show you how to do it outright.

Hope that helps, Crypto.:icon_tong

jai5w4:icon_smil

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Think of them as camp counselors of sort; they have been there, done that...but they are going through it with you...they offer guidance, often without repercussions or bad feelings...but won't just show you how to do it outright.

That's an interesting way of putting it. But well said, I like that. You'll see a similar relationship amongst JOPA later on in the fleet.

SpookyMustang

Not a brown shoe...
The active duty folks in your battalion can have a positive and a negative affect. It is important for the OCs and MECEPs to remember that they are constantly being looked at by the Mids. A few negative words or actions in response to what a battalion or even unit staff member has to say and the ground work is layed for insubordinance. During my time in NROTC as an OC I was guilty at times of not always presenting my thoughts in a helpful way from which people can learn.

When you see that happening and you are in a staff position, take the OC or MECEP aside privately and remind them that you would like the same courtesy of being corrected in private. You would next want to help them realize that this is a place of learning and that the best way to learn is from mistakes that occur during practical experiences, but that you appreciate their helping you realize some of your errors. Believe me, they will be a bit embarrassed if you call them out, but again, do it in private or the OC or MECEP will make you feel like an ass. Take the high road...

That is the reason that OCs and MECEPS often times don't get the same number of billets or different kinds of billets at an NROTC unit compared to Mids. The OCs and MECEPs have learned a lot of the lessons the Mids should be learning in how to handle people. Marines especially gain the small unit leadership especially quickly as compared to many OCs because of the difference in the nature of their jobs.

ACurry

Thank God for Kidney Stone Medical Waivers
Quoted from JAI
I believe my unit's size (about 80something) is ideally conducive to developing a well-rounded Ensign/1st LT. It is big enought that: 1) you are exposed to enough people and situations, 2) have enough OC's and MECEP's to give you a better taste of the fleet and working with enlisted folks, 3) don't get "lost in the crowd" of 200-300 other Midshipmen (not saying it's a bad thing to have a big unit...but in my opinion there are more less-desireable characteristics than desireable about being a part of one)...Brett, you're at USD, right? Chime in here and let me know if i'm way off...

I guess your "unit" never told you that a 1st LT is an O-2.

Quoted from JAI

I guess your "unit" never told you that a 1st LT is an O-2.

We develope well rounded 1st LT's too, right after they make it from 2nd LT...:icon_tong

jai5w4:icon_smil

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Go to Minnesota. Great parties, beautiful midwestern girls, great academic reputation. Oh yea, you learn Navy stuff from dedicated instructors and uniforms are secured when it drops below 30F :) Woot!

nrotcbruin

I think most units produce pretty good officers. I think it is the active duty staff at your unit that has a pretty big affect as well as the upperclassmen in your unit. I go to UCLA, and we have a really great active duty staff because its so competetive to get a slot for the NROTC unit at UCLA that the best officers and enlisted come here.

I don't necessarily think that size matters. Our unit is only 37 and I think we have the greatest mids even especially when comparing ourselves to guys from other units from summer cruises. During my CORTRAMID, 2/c and 1/c cruise, I was amazed at how bad some of these mids were. Of course we have our bad apples too, but I think that we are doing a pretty good job at commissioning good officers.

Ultimately, I've met a lot of guys that are good to go from various different schools through past cruises. It's hard to say that a certain school or unit will produce stellar officers, but you should choose the school that best fits you. I love UCLA because it's so cal, the weather is always great and we have hollywood next door.

That's just my two cents

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
That's just my two cents
You can have it back. Penn State all the way.:D

j/k... there is no "unit rep" from what I've seen.

You find dirtbags everywhere and you find great people everywhere. Judging a whole school based on one or two people you meet on cruise isn't accurate IMO, especially when some schools have nearly 200 Midshipmen.

This thread is going to need that ruler that Zab (a PSU grad) posted in another thread...