• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

nrotc

markkyle66

Hi guys! I just have a few questions about NROTC. Is there a minimum about of time you have to be in NROTC to be elligible for pilot/nfo consideration? I know AFROTC passes out their slots based on merit,gpa,field training scores,afoqt,etc. Is it the same with with NROTC? I heard NROTC doesn't have OM rankings like AFROTC, is this true? Or is there an NROTC equivalent to that? I'm a college sophmore just looking to serve my country and considering my options between Airforce and Navy. I highly appreciate any pointers or info you guys have to offer. Oh and this is my first post here :D , even though I'm a long time reader!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Hi guys! I just have a few questions about NROTC. Is there a minimum about of time you have to be in NROTC to be elligible for pilot/nfo consideration? I know AFROTC passes out their slots based on merit,gpa,field training scores,afoqt,etc. Is it the same with with NROTC? I heard NROTC doesn't have OM rankings like AFROTC, is this true? Or is there an NROTC equivalent to that? I'm a college sophmore just looking to serve my country and considering my options between Airforce and Navy. I highly appreciate any pointers or info you guys have to offer. Oh and this is my first post here :D , even though I'm a long time reader!

I'll take a crack at these....

1. You select to be a pilot/nfo or any other service selection in your Senior year. If you are a regular 4 year grad, this will happen in October.

2. I don't know what OM means, but the NROTC program does rank it's people based on a formula. GPA, military aptitude, and PT scores are a major factor.

Talk to the NROTC unit at your college right away since you are already a Sophomore. They will tell you what you need to do to get into the program.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I'm going to guess OM stands for Order of Merit. Thats an academy thing, we just do class standing at my unit.

markkyle66

I'm assuming you mean: are you eligible to select pilot w/o being in ROTC 4 years. Answer is yes.

Yes sir, you pretty much nailed it. In AFROTC you have to have a minimum of 3 years in the program to be eligible for pilot/nav. Or so I'm told. I just wanted to see if it was the same with NROTC.

navy09

None
First you need to focus on getting that 2-year scholarship, contact the recruiting officer at your school's unit ASAP to be sure you have plenty of time to get everything in. If you went that route, you'd spend some time over the summer at NSI (in Newport, I believe) getting caught up with your classmates who've been in the program for 2 years already. Getting a 2-yr scholarship would make you eligible to commission as a pilot/NFO (or any other warfare specialty) when you graduate. As far as getting selected for pilot/NFO, I believe that your GPA/major, aptitude score (a subjective score given by the unit officers), and ASTB are the "big three" factors. I don't really know how competitive it is, but I haven't heard of many people getting turned down for aviation.

markkyle66

Thanks again for the replies and trying to help me out! What exactly is NSI, and by Newport did you mean Rhode Island? I'm not sure if I mentioned it erlier but I'm a sophmore with another solid 3 years of college ahead. How would that work with NROTC? Would I do the two year program, but not commissioning until completion of my third year of college? I tried searching that topic without much luck. Thanks again guys.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Markkyle66...

Go down stairs in Van Fleet hall and talk to LT Christensen. He will give you a bunch of info there. I don't know what it entails for you to drop AFROTC to go to NROTC, but if you're not currently on scholarship, I doubt it would be a big deal. You can participate in NROTC w/out a scholarship and they will put you in for one (or college program) once you're participating.

Short version, go talk to one of the instructors downstairs. The one I mentioned I believe is the asseccion officer, but I may be mistaken.

navy09

None
NSI=Naval Science Institute (Newport, RI). NROTC students take a Naval Science course every semester, if you're accepted into the 2-year program (starting at the beginning of next year) you will have missed two years of NS classes, orientations, (Navy/USMC) drill/inspections, etc. that everyone else in the 4 year program has already gone through. NSI is a program designed to catch you up with everyone else (I believe it's around 6 weeks long). Gatordev also pointed out that you could possibly join NROTC now as a CP (not sure if they'd let you join like that this late though). Bottom line: talk to your school's NROTC Recruiting Officer soon to avoid missing any deadlines.