• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nuke to pilot?

Cleonard19

Contributor
Hello Sirs,

I'm shipping out to RTC Great Lakes on Nov. 6th as a Nuke Recruit, and was wondering if anyone on these forums either is or knows someone who got selected for the SNA option for STA-21, and how much harder it is to get selected for the Pilot/NFO option over the nuke option (which I understand to be streamlined for students currently in the pipeline, please correct me if I'm wrong.) I see from the other post in this forum that there were 40 Pilot Selectee's and 40 Nuke Selectees, but that doesn't really help me out much since I have no idea how many people out of the >700 put in for one of these two communities.

I tried asking around other sites about how often a nuke student gets selected and whether being a nuke student (with the right grades in the pipeline of course) puts you at an advantage for selection or not, but it would seem that most of the people that hang around those other forums are either Nuke Enlisted or Nuke officers and display an overwhelming bias towards the nuke option, and I'd like to get some input from the other side of the coin.

Thank you all very much for your time, I really appreciate it!

-CL

corvettetimmy

Hello Sirs,

I'm shipping out to RTC Great Lakes on Nov. 6th as a Nuke Recruit, and was wondering if anyone on these forums either is or knows someone who got selected for the SNA option for STA-21, and how much harder it is to get selected for the Pilot/NFO option over the nuke option (which I understand to be streamlined for students currently in the pipeline, please correct me if I'm wrong.) I see from the other post in this forum that there were 40 Pilot Selectee's and 40 Nuke Selectees, but that doesn't really help me out much since I have no idea how many people out of the >700 put in for one of these two communities.

I tried asking around other sites about how often a nuke student gets selected and whether being a nuke student (with the right grades in the pipeline of course) puts you at an advantage for selection or not, but it would seem that most of the people that hang around those other forums are either Nuke Enlisted or Nuke officers and display an overwhelming bias towards the nuke option, and I'd like to get some input from the other side of the coin.

Thank you all very much for your time, I really appreciate it!

-CL

I was an enlisted nuke. I got selected for STA-21 Pilot about a week after I qualified at prototype. That was the FY05 selection. Im not sure how my nuke school grades helped me. I only submitted my A-school and power school grades and they were 3.81 and 3.82 respectively. My ASTB line scores were 7,8,6 OAR 61. I had an outstanding low on the package PRT as well. I never saw my interview sheets or anything like that, so I cant comment there. I didn't have any recommendations either.

I know that I got selected for PILOT and some Nuke staff members at prototype did not. Specifically one EM1 that was sour as hell.

Its hard to say what works and what doesn't. But what will definitely help you is:

Good grades
Clean record (underage drinking is out of control at nuke school)
Good PRT (especially with the Navy's current physical fitness condition)
Good ASTB and OAR score.

Good Luck.. Select EM in boot camp. :icon_wink

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
Cleonard19,

I'm not a Nuke but there is a great book I read about aviator's going through the F/A-18 training squadron called "Bogeys and Bandits" by Robert Gandt. There were twins that enlisted, went through Nuke school, performed well, applied for the academy, and got selected to go there. I think the Navy likes selecting Nuke grads because they have proven that they can perform in an academic setting. Do your best in school, keep your nose clean, and you can definetely make it happen. Don't ever give up on your goals either, no matter what other people tell you.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Good grades
One would assume this is a prerequisite for applying to such a program as STA-21, but lately, i've been finding more and more people who would think otherwise.

Clean record (underage drinking is out of control at nuke school)
I'll be almost 21 by the time i get out of boot camp (five months shy). Other than that, the only thing on my record is a couple speeding tickets, which i'm guessing (but please correct me if I'm wrong) they overlook just like the rest of the navy overlooks speeding tickets.

Good PRT (especially with the Navy's current physical fitness condition)
I can already do outstanding ow on the PT tests my recruiter administers, and i'm still working on a better score

Good ASTB and OAR score.
I have the Barron's ASTB book, is there better gouge out there than this one, or should this one have me pretty squared away (except for the naval history, which i'll look for supplements to elsewhere anyways)?

Good Luck.. Select EM in boot camp. :icon_wink

Flamedog, thanks, I'll head over to Borders in the morning and pick that one up.

Now I know there's no real answer to the "How does my packet compare to others" Question, so I won't ask. But what I will ask, is that since i'm not permitted to take college classes while i'm in the nuke pipeline, is there anything else I can do set myself apart (other than the standard good grades, making my instructors take notice of me, etc)? Would getting a private pilots license help at all (assuming that the time requirement of getting my private pilots license doesn't damage my grades in any way), or is there a better way to spend that time and money that can help my packet out more?

phrogpilot73

Scoober78 is a prior nuke sub guy that went through STA-21 and is now in the pipeline for P-3's. I'm sure if there's a question you have, he can answer it...

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I am a Nuke as well. I applied for this program three times, and as my name says I didn't get lucky until the third time. I continually performed in an above average manner, and people took notice. At last years officer interviews I had officers practically apologizine for me being over looked the year before. My biggest advice is to be completely honest. Don't attempt to cover up or ignore your shortcomings, be the first to point them out in your statement. More advice is to be completely honest in all the interviews as well as the personal statement. The boards are good at sniffing out rehearsed answers. Everyone says their are things you can just not say, I don't believe this. I admitted that my career would end after my current enlistment if I was not selected. Now, I followed that by saying that I would continue to perform above averagy until the day I got out. I even said at one point that I had not always wanted to be an officer. That was because when I left for the Navy I had no idea how the military was divided. My last advice is to listen to all the suggestions this forum has to offer. I utilized this website in almost everything I compiled for my package. As far as selectin EM in bootcamp, I don't agree. Get MM, then bust your butt to get invited into the exclusive invitation only club that is ELT!!!

haubby

None
Contributor
I'm not so sure about the whole ELT thing. I heard alot of shady things happening in Nucleonics.:icon_wink

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Cleo,
There is a wealth of information you can get from all of the years of experience here on AW so take advantage of everyones advice and try to apply it. But being a nuke of 9 years and seeing many many nukes picked up before me, many who were still in the pipeline. The one thing I can say is don't underestimate the weight that academic excellence within the pipeline can carry on an application. I would caution you to not spread yourself too thin during A school and power school and apply every year until you get what you want. Also if you have any questions specific about being a nuke there are quite a few of us here...

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I myself am also another nuke, however, as my title states, I am a Surface EM1, been so for about 8.5 years. This is my first time I put in for STA-21 and got it, so I guess I'm pretty fortunate. Like most others have stated, do the very best you can each and every day, and you will go very far in today's Navy. I was your average 3.4 in A school, 3.5 in Power school, 3.3 in Prototype, and a "P" (Promotable) sailor at my first command. I never showed up late, nor did I ask for any extra work. I just did what I was told and went home/to berthing. Since being on shore duty (Recruiting, then the Nuclear Coordinator for the district), I have realized how much I do enjoy the Navy and working with other people who feel the same way. I selected EM because it was a little of ET and a little of MM (computer/twiddget work mixed with hands on/dirty work) :D . Good luck @ RTC and your next few years. STUDY HARD and OFTEN...

EM1

Cleonard19

Contributor
While on the same subject, does anyone know where exemplary grades in the nuke pipeline would put me if I were to try for one of those coveted 170 Enlisted slots at the academy?

And Thank you all again for taking the time to answer my questions. Just the sheer number of ex-nukes on this forum is encouraging.

phrogpilot73

While on the same subject, does anyone know where exemplary grades in the nuke pipeline would put me if I were to try for one of those coveted 170 Enlisted slots at the academy?
I'd say pretty good, although you will only be competing for 85 slots. There are 85 for reserves, and 85 for active duty and you'll only be in one category. In my class at USNA, there was about 130 prior enlisted guys, so there were slots that went unfilled. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 5 of them that were nukes. Two that came straight from nuke school.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
The average grades through the pipeline especially A school and power school is around a 3.30. When I was going through the CO required a 3.30 to even get an interview with him. From that interview he decides if you get your recommendation or not. To really stand out I would say get at least a 3.75. I finished with a 3.80 and was 20th out of 312.