• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Number of Pilots in different Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFuqua86

Ive heard conflicting information about how many numbers of pilots the different services have . The Marines have told me that they have the 2nd most numbers of airframes next to the air force and 30 % of Marine Ofiicers are Pilots, but the Army says they have the largest number of pilots, and 8000 combat pilots. I've also heard that only around like 10% of Air Force and even fewer Navy officers are pilots could some one tell me the truth.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Damn, that's the least funny thing ever posted in "Aviation and Military Humor."

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
The Army probably does have more aviators. They do have more aircraft (although mostly rotary wing) than any other service. I did a little google search. The 101st ABN has 281 helicopters. The 82nd Avn Btn of the 82nd ABN has 128 helicopters.

BTW, the Army also has more boats than the Navy (little smaller though of course).

bobbybrock

None
Gents,
I'm an H-60 IP in the Army. I'm not sure what numbers are being used, but with reserve and guard aviation assets the Army does excede 4000 airframes. Most are rotary but we have a growing fixed wing fleet for VIP transport and electronic warfare.
I'm not sure who defined the army having 8000 combat aviators, but if you've flown one hour in The Stan or Iraq you are just that. That number these days is probably pretty acurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.