• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NUPOC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

big

USNA Class of 2008
I'm a college freshman in Las Vegas and I just recently learned about the NUPOC program. I am absolutely intent upon earning a commission in the Navy...I applied to USNA the past two years(got tons of nominations but no appointment, just national waiting list) and received a 4year NROTC scholarship(which I couldn't use because the college it gave me it to - MIT - didn't accept me).

I was just curious how hard it is to get accepted into the NUPOC program? I'm in my third semester, but so far I have a 3.66 GPA(all A's in technical/science courses including Calc1-2, General Chem1-2, etc), am an EE major, member of phi theta kappa(international honor society) etc.

I know I can't apply for the program until after I've also taken a year of calculus based physics, but I will have taken both Eng. Physics 1 and 2 by the end of the Fall 2004 semester. As it is, I just wanted to know some numbers about the process...

i.e. How many apply? How many get accepted? Avg. GPA? What are my chances? etc.

Difficult question to answer I'm sure number wise but any general information would help me a lot!

....Also, when should I contact a recruiter to get the application started? I figured I probably shouldn't until after I take the year of phy, but just curious.

jburnes

I'd call a recruiter right now. I mean just because you haven't taken those courses yet doesn't mean you won't be accepted into the program. I think the main requirement is that you need to be a sophmore. I'm in the process of applying for NUPOC also, and to be competitive you need atleast a 3.3. Right now they are looking for even higher than that since it's the end of the fiscal year, but since you wouldn't be going in until like 2006 or 07 the increased gpa factors don't have much of an effect on you.

What are your chances? Well if the Navy likes your app enough to send you on a VIP trip to a sub base, then it's pretty good chance you'll get in. As long as you don't screw up the tech interviews in D.C., which for you will be basic problems from calc, physics and EE so it shouldn't be that bad.

johnmyson

OC Radioactive Man
I was talking to the recruiter and filling out forms before I had finished my year of physics. I went on the VIP trip while I was finishing up, and pretty much right after my second semester of physics I was in DC (this was my sophomore year).

You should at least make contact with a recruiter now and express interest.
See what he/she wants you to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.