• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NUPOC vs. BDCP SWO whats harder?

4ageminor

I'm currently applying for NUPOC- I'm a soph in college at California polytechnic state university with a 3.43 in Manufacturing Engineering. My recruiter seems to think i have a good chance of getting in. To be safe, I'm also going to apply for SWO. Is this designation any easier to get into than nuke? Is this a viable "backup"?

MasterBates

Well, the technical criteria is lower for SWO than Nuke. Being an Engineer you should have the pre-reqs for Nuke, but I do remember the IE and MSE students at my school took a little lighter load on the higher end math/physics then the ME/EE/CE types.

Lobster

My OR told me to focus on the primary designator that I wanted and not to worry about any back ups the first time around. He said that if I'd be happy as an NFO or a SWO then to put them on my application but if not then don't. He also told me that if I didn't get selected for SNA the first time around and I was thinking about possibly a different designator then it would be easier to put them on my application if i reapplied because I would not have rejected NFO or SWO to go for SNA again. I kind of just rambled a bit, I hope thats clear enough...:confused:

navy09

None
Is SWO Nuke an option? If you're a nerd, that's the best of both worlds :D Seriously though, if I wasn't retarded at math and science I'd do that in a heartbeat.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Don't put SWO unless you are 100% positive that you would be happy accepting it if you are selected for it and not NUPOC. It will look bad if you were selected, turn it down, and then apply again. I'm not sure how competetive NUPOC is, but I remember my recruiter trying to talk me into NUPOC and every once in awhile you will see something posted on AW that says Nuke Officers are in high demand. If that is true, then I dont see why you should not be picked up, as long as you are qualified of course.

What is the difference between a Nuke Officer and a SWO - EDO option?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Does it really matter which is "harder?" Go for what you want, always put out your best, and the rest will take care of itself.

EDIT: SWO(N) is unrestricted line. An EDO is not, but I don't know what the pipeline involves.

4ageminor

"Well, the technical criteria is lower for SWO than Nuke. Being an Engineer you should have the pre-reqs for Nuke, but I do remember the IE and MSE students at my school took a little lighter load on the higher end math/physics then the ME/EE/CE types."

The MFGE major shares 75% of the course load with mechanical engineering here at cal poly. We take calc 1-4, linear algebra, differential equations, chem 1-2, physics 1-3, materials engineering courses, mechanics of materials, statics, dynamics, fluids, thermo, bunch of EE classes, computer programming, etc.

I would be entirely happy as a non nuclear SWO because my number one goal is to serve my country. Nuke is unlike other designations in the fact that if you dont pass the interview then you can't reapply, ever. So the reson for my post is that in the unlikely chance that i dont pass the interviews, i want to be able to fall back on SWO. So it was a post merely out of curiousity i guess. Just trying to get a feel for the competitiveness.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I would be entirely happy as a non nuclear SWO because my number one goal is to serve my country. Nuke is unlike other designations in the fact that if you dont pass the interview then you can't reapply, ever. So the reson for my post is that in the unlikely chance that i dont pass the interviews, i want to be able to fall back on SWO. So it was a post merely out of curiousity i guess. Just trying to get a feel for the competitiveness.
If you have 1 year of calc and 1 year of calc-based physics, you meet the pre-req. Being an engineering major would probably make you a shoe-in. However, they try to steer men to subs. There are occassions where people have gone to DC to interview for surface and only been offered subs. You, of course, are free to turn down that offer, since you owe the Navy nothing until you sign up.

Also, the interviews aren't that tough...something like 98% of people who go will be accepted. It's there because ADM Rickover started it, and the head of nuclear propulsion remains responsible for hiring all officers.