• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nursing

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The best step is to do some research, like you are now, and then contact a recruiter (http://www.navy.com/findarecruiter/). Depending on your background, and how much training you have recieved, you can either recieve a direct commission or go through OIS. There are also some monetary incentives out there for needed healthcare fields.

One of my friends is an ER Nurse, and they have been contacted quite a few times by the Navy, seems that Nurses are in demand right now.

From the Navy's website (navy.com).
You are a College Graduate and want to prepare for a career as an Officer in the Healthcare community.
Earn While You Learn

If you’ve already completed training, the Navy can help speed your tuition repayment. If you’re in school or about to start, the Navy has programs to assist you in paying for your education. And once you’re in the Navy, you will receive competitive pay, a culture devoted to continuing training and professional development, and the unparalleled chance to help others and your country.

Check out the opportunities below to find out which program(s) might be right for you.
Direct Commission

If you’re already established in dentistry, medicine, law or religion, and you crave a little more adventure – check out the Navy. It may be possible for you to qualify for direct a commission as a Navy Officer.
Officer Indoctrination School (OIS)

The Officer’s version of Recruit Training (Boot Camp), known as Officer Indoctrination School (OIS), is a five-week program that includes a full schedule of academic studies, military indoctrination and physical fitness training.

Best of luck,

John

hm2anderson

EP-3 NFO
Don't Miss Out on This

Raauzyuw Ruenaaa0666 3541810-uuuu--ruccbwf.
Znr Uuuuu Zui Ruewmcf9752 3541857
R 201810z Dec 06 Zyb Min Zyw Psn 673594i34 Fm Cno Washington Dc//n1//
To Navadmin Info Rhmfiuu/cno Washington Dc//n1// Ruenaaa/cno Washington
Dc//n1// Bt Unclas //n07220//
Navadmin 361/06
Msgid/genadmin/cno Washington Dc/n1/dec//
Subj/fy-07 Nurse Officer Accession Bonus//
Gentext/remarks/1. The Fy-07 Nurse Officer Accession Bonus Is A Tiered
Accession Bonus Used As A Recruiting Incentive To Attract Qualified
Applicants To Join The Navy Nurse Corps. It Is Available To Newly
Appointed Direct Accession Nurse Corps Officers Reporting To Active
Duty. Accession Bonus Authorized Is $15,000 For A Three-year Active
Duty Obligation (ado) And $25,000 For A Four-year Ado.
2. Eligibility Requirements Are:
A. Be A Graduate Of A School Of Nursing Accredited By The National
League For Nursing Accrediting Commission (nlnac) Or The Commission On
Collegiate Nursing Education (ccne) That Conferred A Baccalaureate Or
Advanced Nursing Degree.
B. Be Qualified To Hold An Appointment As A Commissioned Officer.
C. Execute A Written Agreement To Accept A Commission As An
Officer Of The Nurse Corps Of The Navy And To Serve On Active Duty For
A Period Of Not Less Than 3 Years For The $15,000 Accession Bonus And
Not Less Than 4 Years For The $25,000 Accession Bonus.
D. Not Have Received Financial Assistance From The Department Of
Defense While Pursuing A Baccalaureate Degree In Nursing.
E. Obtain And Maintain A License As A Registered Nurse.
3. Eligible Individuals Who Sign A Written Agreement On Or After 1 Oct
06 To Serve On Active Duty In Exchange For The Bonus Are Authorized To
Receive The Accession Bonus.
4. Eligibility And Administrative Procedures Are Available At
https://navymedicine.med.navy.mil (click On Bumed Then Click On Special
Pays).
5. Point Of Contact: Capt J. Buda At (901) 874-2818/dsn 882 Or Email
At juanita.buda@navy.mil.
6. Released By Vadm J. C. Harvey, Jr., N1.//
Bt #0666

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It Is Available To Newly Appointed Direct Accession Nurse Corps Officers Reporting To Active Duty. Accession Bonus Authorized Is $15,000 For A Three-year Active Duty Obligation (ado) And $25,000 For A Four-year Ado.
HM2, great post.

That bonus is definitely not bad at all.

For the original poster, I would also ask if there are any programs also running where you can get reimbursed for any of your training/education.

Wink or RockyMntNFO might have a better perspective on all this.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HM2 excellent first couple of posts.

Thanks for the info on the Nursing Officer programs.

jburnes

I've been in the process of getting into the nurse candidate program for the navy for over a year now. I think it sounds like a great program however I just found out I'll probably be medically disqualified for having 2 kidney stones. My recruiter is trying for a waiver but he said not to hold out much hope. I haven't heard from him since dec 15 but hopefully after the holiday i'll hear back. I start nursing school on jan 8th so i'm excited but i'll be disappointed if I won't be a navy nurse :(

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are also student nurse programs. You apply while in school and are guaranteed the job when you graduate. There are financial incentives for that program too. Last I heard there are some opportunities still out there for Nurses with Associate Degrees in Nursing. That option is more restrictive though and I don't remember details. If you are an Associate Degree Nurse you should still call a recruiter. I just don't remember the details. One of the benefits of the Nurse Corps is that there are all sorts of additional training a qualifications you can get that are rarely offered to nurses in civilian employment, especially early in their careers. I recently met a Nurse Corp officer that with barely a year under her belt was sent to a civilian school to become a nurse midwife. She got the professional qualification/certificate and worked for two years as a nurse midwife without encuring any further obligation to the Navy.

snake020

Contributor
I was hoping a guy had started this thread, that way I could bring out the "Gee Fokker, I didn't know they made 8th place ribbons" jokes.

ElCidAv8tor05

Any of you boys seen a VORTAC around here?
pilot
My wife is a Navy Nurse, and I gotta say it's not too bad of a deal. She got into the Nurse Corps through Navy Nurse Corps ROTC in college. They actually give out 4 year NROTC scholarships specifically for nurses. It covers tuition, books,etc like normal scholarship. But it also pays for all the lab fees and equipment that goes with the nursing practicum training that every nursing school has. So she has a nursing degree and is a registered nurse (R.N.) and didn't pay a dime for it. She's only been a nurse for about a year and a half now and already the navy has sent her to get some pretty amazing training. She's been taught Cardiologist-level EKG analysis, she's about to learn how to do a PIC line (which is basically an IV threaded up the veins and directly into the heart) something very few nurses learn how to do, and after that she's gonna learn how to do IV conscience sedation (another very advanced specialty). All of this training, which would costs thousands in the civilian world, came at no cost to her. In the civilian world the training she's recieved is usually the domain of nurses with many years of experience, not only 1.5 years like her. The job can be pretty stressful depending on what floor you're working on, but it also is very rewarding and from what she tells me, the working conditions/hours are actually better than the civilian side. for example, she works on an inpatient surgical floor and on a very busy day, she has between 4 and 6 patients that she's personally taking care of, on the civilian side, someone with the same position would average about 10 patients per day, who knows how many on a really busy day.
If you have any questions feel free to PM me or shoot me an email, and I can get you in touch with her.
- "Easy"

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My wife is a Navy Nurse, and I gotta say it's not too bad of a deal. She got into the Nurse Corps through Navy Nurse Corps ROTC in college. They actually give out 4 year NROTC scholarships specifically for nurses. It covers tuition, books,etc like normal scholarship. But it also pays for all the lab fees and equipment that goes with the nursing practicum training that every nursing school has. So she has a nursing degree and is a registered nurse (R.N.) and didn't pay a dime for it. She's only been a nurse for about a year and a half now and already the navy has sent her to get some pretty amazing training. She's been taught Cardiologist-level EKG analysis, she's about to learn how to do a PIC line (which is basically an IV threaded up the veins and directly into the heart) something very few nurses learn how to do, and after that she's gonna learn how to do IV conscience sedation (another very advanced specialty). All of this training, which would costs thousands in the civilian world, came at no cost to her. In the civilian world the training she's recieved is usually the domain of nurses with many years of experience, not only 1.5 years like her. The job can be pretty stressful depending on what floor you're working on, but it also is very rewarding and from what she tells me, the working conditions/hours are actually better than the civilian side. for example, she works on an inpatient surgical floor and on a very busy day, she has between 4 and 6 patients that she's personally taking care of, on the civilian side, someone with the same position would average about 10 patients per day, who knows how many on a really busy day.
If you have any questions feel free to PM me or shoot me an email, and I can get you in touch with her.
- "Easy"

Thanks a bunch. That is the kind of post that makes AW so valuable.