• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O-2 or higher w/ < 2 yrs exp?

irontri

I was looking at the military pay charts and noticed that there are numbers ($) for officers all the way up to O-8 w/ < 2 yrs experience. I believe doctors and JAG's commission at a higher level, but who else and how? Does an MS, PhD, or many years in the private sector 1st help? Does a 4.0 (not me) and perfect PRT matter? Doubted that, but just throwing thoughts out there.

Thanks for any insight as I could not find anything out searching.

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all
It has to be there because of a glitch in the system where if you serve over 28 years, your experience rolls over. Something to do with year 2000 bug I think. DFAS was supposed to fix it, but if you've ever dealt with a pay problem, you know how it is. Plus, I think somebody figured out the bug saves the military like a hundred grand a year.

PbakerD88

SHSN SWO/METOC hopeful
i dont really know thats kindof weird. i dont think those things would help but dont quote me. i have seen an O-4 with a year and a half in. she was in the nurse corps

Socrates

we are not the only one that use the pay grade scale! Its weird but some civilians are also payed on the same scale. FBI, CIA, contractors and even some staff in congressional offices.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
we are not the only one that use the pay grade scale! Its weird but some civilians are also payed on the same scale. FBI, CIA, contractors and even some staff in congressional offices.

Most of the government is paid through the General Schedule pay scale, if that is what you mean. It is a completely different pay system than the military one.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It has to be there because of a glitch in the system where if you serve over 28 years, your experience rolls over. Something to do with year 2000 bug I think. DFAS was supposed to fix it, but if you've ever dealt with a pay problem, you know how it is. Plus, I think somebody figured out the bug saves the military like a hundred grand a year.

Where in the world did you get that? The pay chart had the exact same things pre-Y2K.

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Now days it's used mostly for Doctors and the occasional Nurse. I personally knew a cardiac surgeon that was direct commissioned to O-6 in the Army back when I was in college.

It's also there for contingencies. Best example is WWII when lots of people were direct commissioned to higher ranks including a few to flag ranks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think chicken farming is going to qualify you for a direct commission past 0-1.

irontri

I don't think chicken farming is going to qualify you for a direct commission past 0-1.

Well you haven't seen the complexity of our little poultry operation; it's pretty sophisticated! j/k. Plus, free eggs to anyone close enough to me to come and get 'em! We have more than we know what to do with them. That part is serious. Organic, free-range, mostly brown eggs.

In all seriousness, thanks guys for the answers so far. I guess I was thinking that there is some list of rules or protocol for how someone commissions to a higher grade. No worries either way.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well you haven't seen the complexity of our little poultry operation; it's pretty sophisticated! j/k. Plus, free eggs to anyone close enough to me to come and get 'em! We have more than we know what to do with them. That part is serious. Organic, free-range, mostly brown eggs.

That might work with USDA (Dept of Agriculture), but Air Warriors get their rank the traditional way these days.

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
I have a sister-in-law that was commissioned directly into the Air Force JAG, after completing law school, as an O-2. Unsure if the Navy is the same way.

snake020

Contributor
That might work with USDA (Dept of Agriculture), but Air Warriors get their rank the traditional way these days.

Even if you're the Commander in Chief's nephew, you're generally going in as an O-1.

Now days it's used mostly for Doctors and the occasional Nurse. I personally knew a cardiac surgeon that was direct commissioned to O-6 in the Army back when I was in college.

In 2006 at the Bataan Memorial Death March I saw an Army Colonel who looked in his late 20s, a bit young to be wearing birds. Found out he was a cardiologist direct commission.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
We had a guy in my class at Whiting who was a direct commission 0-6. Thoracic surgeon. If you come into the medical field with a Masters = JG; PhD = LT; MD = LT (at least).