• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Acceptance question

kennyshat

Hello all,
My apologies if this has been asked/answered already. I searched the forums but couldn't find anything.

Background: Accepted through boards to OCS for NFO in July, have been waiting to get Final Select since then. Called my recruiter today to find out specifics and they had heard back.

Recruiter: I actually got more information on your situation this week. We'll just need you to come in and enlist at this point, but I'm not sure when our officer will be in to do so.
Me: What does that entail?
R: Basically, you'll just come in and raise your hand, say your oath, and that'll be it.

Now, this might have just been a bad choice of words or something, but I have heard so many stories that I got really nervous with that statement. I am going in to become an officer. I just don't want to go in, go through this process, and find out that I accidentally enlisted when I have been accepted to OCS instead. This also might be my own ignorance and what happens is that you enlist as an Officer Candidate and gain your officer ranking after completion of OCS.

Any guidance would be extremely helpful.

swerdna

None
Contributor
You have to enlist before you go to OCS, and while you're there you'll be an E-5 (technically).

I seriously doubt you'd be tricked into a regular enlistment, especially if you read everything you signed.

kennyshat

Thanks for your help. I've just heard a lot of advice about making sure you are 100% clear on everything and that you have asked every question. With that choice of words, I got really nervous, especially since I had only heard the term 'sworn-in' never 'enlisted' for officers. Can't wait to get to Newport!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's just a technicality. You have to be in the Navy on some sort of status while at OCS, but obviously you can't be commissioned. So you're 'technically' enlisted as an E-5.

Tricking people into enlisting went out with the Press Gang. But still...read everything before you sign it.

press-gang.jpg

kennyshat

I didn't so much mean impressment as much as an unspoken requirement that was (un?)intentionally miscommunicated to me. My dad, law enforcement, taught me well about reading everything, which is what made me more nervous that I hadn't heard about that process.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
You'll sign some paperwork and then swear-in. In that paperwork should be your NFO contract. You will be enlisting as an E-5 for paygrade purposes at OCS and then upon completion commissioned as an O-1. Actual enlisted applicants choose their job and enlist/swear-in at MEPS.

kennyshat

Thank you all for your answers. This completely answered my question. Shoutout as well to NavyOffRec. That document link was helpful in understanding.