• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ocs advice

leebee

Hello. I am looking for some advice from the people who have been through OCS and know what it's like... my boyfriend is there now, and he seems to be having a really hard time. I'm trying to be supportive and send him letters, and I know it's supposed to be tough, but I wish I really knew what to say to help him. There probably isn't anything, right? But I thought maybe you might have some tips for me... or tips for him that I can pass on. Is there anything that helped you get through it? Is there anything I should send him that he could really use?

Thank a lot, guys.

BrianUSMC

A closed mouth gathers no feet.
pilot
The thing I remember that helped me the most was letters from from friends and family. The daily routine at OCS was pretty rough, but getting back to the barracks at night and getting mail during mail call was great. I had a tendency to get pretty plugged in during it all, and the letters reminded me my family/friends/gf was still there.

What OCS is your BF in? Marine/navy? How far into it is he? If it's in the beginning stages still, it will no doubt be rough; but it gets better toward the end.

My advice is to just continue being supportive: keep the letters coming... i am sure he's already heard all the standard advice you can give him: i.e. thousands of people have been through it before, they haven't changed much in his ocs class... just keep his head up and continue to push forward and it will be over before you know it.
So with that in mind, talk about how proud you are of him and how confident you are that he will no doubt make it... motivate!

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Hello. I am looking for some advice from the people who have been through OCS and know what it's like... my boyfriend is there now, and he seems to be having a really hard time. I'm trying to be supportive and send him letters, and I know it's supposed to be tough, but I wish I really knew what to say to help him. There probably isn't anything, right? But I thought maybe you might have some tips for me... or tips for him that I can pass on. Is there anything that helped you get through it? Is there anything I should send him that he could really use?

Thank a lot, guys.

Letters are the best...I really enjoyed getting those. It helped a lot.

Also, you might want to join the Private Spouses Corner. They are very helpful there :)

EngineGirl

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'd recommend NOT saying how much you miss him and want to see him. It will just make it that much harder. Just give positive comments to remind him it's only xx weeks.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Letters are wonderful, and if you can manage to visit him during one of his liberties I know he will more than just slightly appreciate that...

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I'd recommend NOT saying how much you miss him and want to see him. It will just make it that much harder. Just give positive comments to remind him it's only xx weeks.

And dont talk about food either. My sister sent me a letter saying how she just got back from Taco Bell. I hated her for about 8 weeks until I could get some of my own.

metrogirl

If you do go see him, bring lots of food for him and those in his class......they can't get enough to eat while they're at OCS. He'll appreciate that and letters more than anything!

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Personalize the envelopes of your letters to him, put on stickers and write little notes on the outside. He'll do extra pushups for it, but he'll be laughing the whole time. Believe it or not, stuff like that can but a huge morale boost for everybody (him too!).

four o two

None
If you do go see him, bring lots of food for him and those in his class......they can't get enough to eat while they're at OCS. He'll appreciate that and letters more than anything!
Worst. Idea. Ever.

My advice, from a current 11th week candidate... letters, letters, letters! I can't tell you how nice it was to get letters during those times when I couldn't hardly use a phone.