• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ocs air option

Status
Not open for further replies.

gringo

hey yall im new here but ive always wanted to fly for the military. im familar with the plc program but i am graduating in december and i was wondering if you can get a guarantee air option through ocs? also ill graduate with about a 2.9 in political science and i have a commercial pilots license with about 300 hours in several aircraft. would i be competetive? thanks a bunch

makoslim

Air candidate 188
if you are graduating next month, you can't do PLC, you can however do OCC (one ten week stint) you apply for one of four contracts that guarantee you an opportunity in that field. 1) Ground, 2) Air 3) NFO, and 4) JAG. you are guaranteed a spot at flight school if you are accepted on an air contract, whether or not you actually get to fly is up to you in flight school. It's impossible to say whether you are competitive , and we can't really give you an idea (compared to our stats) unless you give us more than your GPA and degree. The board looks at your physical shape, PFT scores, reffernces, tattoos, drug usage, debt, tickets, blah, blah, blah, etc... it really is all up to the board, but we can tell you if there is anything you need to work on to better your chances.

gringo

cool thanks for some reason i thought if you do occ you arent guaranteed anything. well other than the other stuff i listed, i was captain of the high school hockey team for 3 years. played 2 year of hockey in college. work out 5 times a week in good shape. no tatoos, 1 speeding ticket, worked several jobs during school and summer. i dont know what all they look at but i have a clean record. is there anything else they consider?

ander37

K-rock
mako,
are you saying that if you apply for "option 2: Air" then you are just slated for an air slot, meaning you can be either a pilot or FO? but if you select "option 3: NFO" then you are only an NFO no matter your performance?

peanut3479

pilot
SNA contracts and (S)NFO contracts are separate - you're either one or the other (unless, of course, you're ground or law). An air contract (SNA or NFO) guarantees that if you finish OCS, you go to TBS; if (read: when) you finish TBS, you go to API - that's it.

As far as credentials go ecugringo, they consider everything, as the Marine Corps wants well-rounded officers. Definitely get a high PFT score (first class is the minimum but probably wouldn't be good enough) and get good letters of recommendation. LORs from ex-military, business executives, community leaders, politicians are typically the best, but only get LORs from people who actually know you well - no friends or relatives. Talk to an Officer Selection Officer (OSO)!

ander37

K-rock
so if i want to be a pilot, then i should apply directly for air?
sorry for the stupid questions, but it just seems wierd that they have "air" and "nfo"

makoslim

Air candidate 188
sorry if I didnt clarify that enough, as long as you get through OCS and TBS, you go to flight school, what I meant by it depends on you here is this: If you can't fly for $hit, you wont be a pilot, if you can't pass the aviation swim test, you wont be a pilot, if they find a taliban terrorist manual in your possesion, you wont be a pilot (or a free man for that sake). Did that clear it up?

ander37

K-rock
hmmm, what about an Anarchists Cookbook? :eek: jk

so for air, you are a pilot unless you fail out, got it! :D

and to think they let people like me in. :)

peanut3479

pilot
I just realized how poorly worded my response was. There are pilot (SNA) contracts and NFO contracts. There are no "air" contracts under which you are either an SNA or NFO. In general, "air contract" refers to a pilot contract, not an NFO contract. Sorry if there was any confusion.

gringo

hey thanks a lot for clearing that up...the only way to find out if i'm good enough is to apply but i feel pretty strong about my record. ill talk to my oso and start it all when i graduate in 2 weeks.

Shadow9660

Also, whether or not you qualify for SNA or NFO depends on your score on the ASTB.... you need a minimum of 4/6/6 for marines 3/4/4 navy ...the second number being your pilot rating, and the third number the nfo rating...so depending on how you score...you could go from there.

FlyHalf

Shadow9660 said:
Also, whether or not you qualify for SNA or NFO depends on your score on the ASTB.... you need a minimum of 4/6/6 for marines 3/4/4 navy ...the second number being your pilot rating, and the third number the nfo rating...so depending on how you score...you could go from there.
If you get a 4/6/5 can you still be a SNA or is 4/6/6 the minimum for both SNA and NFO?

Broadsword2004

What is the "aviation swim test?"

Cuz if I get thrown into the water, I won't drown, but I can't swim for crap right now. I am just dead slow.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
Broadsword2004 said:
What is the "aviation swim test?"

Cuz if I get thrown into the water, I won't drown, but I can't swim for crap right now. I am just dead slow.

Tower jump, freestyle, back stroke, side stroke, (breast stroke?), and a one mile endurance swim in flight gear (minus helmut and boots). I suggest you start swimming now, you can't even get to flight school with out a top rating (s-1 or something like that) on the swim tests at TBS. That includes a bunch of tasks such as treading water with a 5 pound weight held out of the water for 5 minutes, swimming with a drowning victim in several different positions. A bunch of strokes. I know there is more, but can't think of any of it right now, just ask your OSO, he had to do them at TBS (if he is infantry, there is a chance he didn't have to do all of them because they aren't required to get the top grade (but I think a lot of them do anyway).

Crowbar

None
Paragraph 4.d talks about people in a flight status, paragraph 6 details the requirements for each level of qualification. You start at CWS4 and work up to CWS1 then CWSQ. Anything beyond that (CWSS, MCIWS, MCITWS) requires a formal training course. CWS4 through CWSQ are the "standard" qualifications and can be done by an instructor at a pool in a day.

Attachments

• MCO 1500.52B.pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 43
Status
Not open for further replies.