• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS and becoming an NFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorjake

I am currently enlisted in the Navy and have been for about 8yrs. I am an EM1 (nuke) and want to drop a package for OCS and get picked up for NFO. Is this a realistic expectation. I know there are a few tests I need to take but just wanted to get some feedback on what I'm getting myself into.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Uh, you better believe its a real possibility. They're hurting for NFO's right now and OCS always likes getting in priors. Talk to your detailer and drop the package. I think you'd do fine if you do well on the testing and flight physicals.

Good luck.

BYSun

Hey Doc,

I'm an SNFO in San Antonio about to finish advanced panel nav (P-3) at Randolph. There are plenty of nfo's I have trained with here and back in Pensacola who were prior enlisted. Most of them did extremely well. Several, infact, from my OCS class even. Do well on your tests, drop your package and you should have a real good shot. any questions, let me know. Best of luck.

Bryce

H60Gunr

Currently enlisted now with a package being sent out next week. When do you actually get to chose a platform to go through? NFO Boards meet at the end of each month?

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
I think there is an ex Nuke wire biter in BYsuns class. The only thing you may have to give up if you want to get selected is the D&D, other than that you have an excellent chance.

BYSun

Not anymore. Latest we heard, you dont find out where you will be going until you get to JAX for FRS. The P-3s being in a sort of transition state right now, its sor of a wait and see where they need you approach.

B

H60Gunr

Rumor has it P-3's are transitioning to a different model (jet) in the near future. Any validity to this statement and the overall effects on the role of NFO's in this platform?

T-man

H60Gunr said:
Rumor has it P-3's are transitioning to a different model (jet) in the near future. Any validity to this statement and the overall effects on the role of NFO's in this platform?

I can't validate the rumor, but I can add some fuel to the rumor fire ;)

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/mma/flash.html

edit: Ok, so maybe I can validate it a little with that above link:

MMA is a long-range anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft capable of broad-area, maritime and littoral operations. The Navy plans to purchase 108 P-8As to replace its fleet of P-3C aircraft. The first aircraft will be delivered for flight test in 2009 and initial operational capability is slated for 2013.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
H60Gunr said:
Near future is a stretch at best.

Keeping it real,

Brett

BYSun

OK, yes the P-3 will be transitioning to the MMA providing budgeting doesnt get cut (congress giveth and congress taketh away) but this wont happen until 2012. We may get a couple by 2010 for testing.

However, the EP-3 (same basic plane with a different tech suite and a different mission) is supposed to be transiitioning to a smaller more maneuvarable Leer jet-like airframe (kind of like a Cessna Citation from what I hear) and this was supposed to happen within the next three to five years.

But remember, free gouge is worth everything you pay for.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.