• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS application process

Kielo587

Hey, how's it going. I'm a recent college grad (GPA 3.27) who has enlisted in the Navy for the SAR swimmer program. I also have taken the ASTB and got AQR 5, PFAR 6, FOFAR 6, and OAR 49. When my recruiter and I put together and submitted my kit it was lost through cracks in the system due to sudden personnel changes in Philiadelphia. I just found out about this, but have put in another kit. I leave for boot camp on July 5th. How often do these officer kit review boards occur? The 3 occupational options I chose were 1st Pilot, 2nd NFO, and 3rd Intel (satellite imagery). Are these scores competitive enough to receive an opportunity to attend OCS in the Aviation field? Will I still be able to be selected for OCS after elisted boot camp begins? Thanks, I appreciate it.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If you want to go to OCS, I would not ship out to boot camp on July 5.

Once you're in bootcamp, you won't be able to say "see ya, I got picked up for OCS." It doesn't work that way.

Scores sound competitive. Of course there is no magic formula. Supposedly I've heard that recruiters are hurting for pilots but i doubt it. But dito about shipping out. Most people I know who went enlisted and who went officer "quickly" spent about two years in the fleet.

And for review boards not sure but they take a while. First they have to pro-rec you then you go to MEPS (physical) then then you get final select and then finally an OCS spot.

Lot to think about it. Good luck.

Eyeball

Your GPA's a little on the low side for a competitive package, but you may have a shot. I doubt the story you were fed about your package "falling through the cracks." Are you dealing with an OPO recruiter as well as the guy who enlisted you? If you have an OCS package in, ask your recruiter to roll you out pending the outcome of your application. If he says that's not possible, he's lying, there are plenty of AIRR seats available for every month. If he insists you have to ship on 5 July, you should go up his chain of command. If you have any problems like this, PM me (can you do that on this site?), and I'll get you the number of the person you need to talk to at NRD Philly.

Eyeball

Kielo587 said:
Hey, how's it going. I'm a recent college grad (GPA 3.27)

I misread your GPA the first time, 3.27 is actually pretty competitive for Pilot or NFO, but you'd need 3.5+ to be competitive for Intel. But Intel's a moot point, because your GPA and ASTB scores are enough to get you Pilot, as long as you are otherwise qualified.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I misread your GPA the first time, 3.27 is actually pretty competitive for Pilot or NFO, but you'd need 3.5+ to be competitive for Intel. But Intel's a moot point, because your GPA and ASTB scores are enough to get you Pilot, as long as you are otherwise qualified.

It's that whole "otherwise qualified" business that can get ya...