• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Life

trevor jones

During OCS do you sleep in a "bay like barracks" like enlisted Marines or dorm rooms with another roommate? Also, I heard that you get weekend leave once in a while. That didn't seem very realistic?

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
squad bays... and you get liberty after the third week. Definitely the highlight. Even once you make it to TBS you've got 4 guys per room, which will seem like luxury compared to OCS. Prepare to scuzzbrush the bulkhead...

trevor jones

I'm pretty sure your allowed to live off base, but does each person get their own dorm room like in the air farce? or do you have roomates still like in TBS?

KBayDog

I repeat: Your living arrangements are up to you.

If you want to live at the BOQ, good on you. (Presently, at Whiting, single guys are living in base housing due to hurricane/hail repairs at the Q.) You will have your own room/bath, and share a kitchen/living room-type common area with someone else, if anyone else is there.
If you want to rent an apartment or house with roommates, good on you.
If you want to get an apartment or house by yourself, good on you.
If you want to buy a house and live by yourself or with roommates, good on you.
If you want to buy a house, rent it out, and live at your childhood home with your parents (no joke - I know someone who did it), good on you.

In other words, it's not like OCS/TBS where they stuff 10 pounds of Marine into a 5-pound room. If you choose to live that way, though (to save a few dollars), that's on you.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
KBayDog said:
I repeat: Your living arrangements are up to you.

If you want to live at the BOQ, good on you. (Presently, at Whiting, single guys are living in base housing due to hurricane/hail repairs at the Q.) You will have your own room/bath, and share a kitchen/living room-type common area with someone else, if anyone else is there.
If you want to rent an apartment or house with roommates, good on you.
If you want to get an apartment or house by yourself, good on you.
If you want to buy a house and live by yourself or with roommates, good on you.
If you want to buy a house, rent it out, and live at your childhood home with your parents (no joke - I know someone who did it), good on you.

In other words, it's not like OCS/TBS where they stuff 10 pounds of Marine into a 5-pound room. If you choose to live that way, though (to save a few dollars), that's on you.

Gouge is RIGHT on the mark, I just want to add one thing. For API (the first stage after IFS in your flight schooling they WILL NOT allow you to live in the BOQ in Pensacola, so you will have to make other arrangements which include base housing in Milton if you are staying over at Whiting Field.

trevor jones

Thanks guys. I'm new to this whole Marine thing. My knowledge is mostly throughout the Air Force seeing as i currently am in the Air Force and that my brother is in pilot training at Wichita Falls for the Air Force. I wasn't sure how much alike living arrangements and things like that are alike between the too. I am currently trying to get a Marine Air Contract and just trying to do some research.

KBayDog

No problem. Don't be afraid to ask questions; the Marine Corps and Air Force cultures are Ebony and Ivory.

I remember the first time I ate in one of your chow halls (or whatever you call the place where you eat). Once I was finished, I sat there for five minutes looking for the scullery. I figured it was near the exit, like most normal chow halls, so I stood up...and some lady took my tray for me.

Blew my friggin' mind.