• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS push-ups, planks, and running standard numbers

Hello everyone :) I'm preparing myself for OCS and an acquaintance advised me, "get push-ups, planks, and running numbers within the standards". I'm pretty new to exploring the world of the Navy... and I found the acceptable numbers for Navy bootcamp on google... but any advice on the numbers I should be shooting for for OCS would be stellar. Thank you in advance for any advice! :)

I was an older candidate when I went through in 2020. I'm a big guy (200+lbs) who likes to run 5ks and 10ks for fun so the run was a no brainer. My biggest piece of advice is that you train up to HIIT intervals of 30 min (super sets, no breaks) @ 5-6 days a week. The "smoke sessions", "pushes" , etc would've been a lot easier on my body had I trained more for HIIT. There were a lot of folks who rolled because of HIIT related injuries.

Don't think you'll duck out, or stay hidden. Your going to leave your sweat and blood on the field I promise. I had a big mouth, loved attention, and definitely chose strong over smart. Lastly, find your center. My absolute favorite times were the 0530 3-5 mile group runs. Great time to clear my head and embrace the day.

Edit 1: I forgot to attach the updated PRT standards from our CFL. Attached is the Feb2022 edition of Guide 5. Thanks.

Attachments

• Guide 5-Physical Readiness Test (FEB 2022).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:

A3R0T3K

I was an older candidate when I went through in 2020. I'm a big guy (200+lbs) who likes to run 5ks and 10ks for fun so the run was a no brainer. My biggest piece of advice is that you train up to HIIT intervals of 30 min (super sets, no breaks) @ 5-6 days a week. The "smoke sessions", "pushes" , etc would've been a lot easier on my body had I trained more for HIIT. There were a lot of folks who rolled because of HIIT related injuries.

Don't think you'll duck out, or stay hidden. Your going to leave your sweat and blood on the field I promise. I had a big mouth, loved attention, and definitely chose strong over smart. Lastly, find your center. My absolute favorite times were the 0530 3-5 mile group runs. Great time to clear my head and embrace the day.
thank you for sharing your experience.

Skywalker

Naval Aviator
pilot
Hello everyone :) I'm preparing myself for OCS and an acquaintance advised me, "get push-ups, planks, and running numbers within the standards". I'm pretty new to exploring the world of the Navy... and I found the acceptable numbers for Navy bootcamp on google... but any advice on the numbers I should be shooting for for OCS would be stellar. Thank you in advance for any advice! :)
As unsatisfying as it is, this is actually good advice. The OCS PFAs are a consistent source of rolls. Your first fitness goal ahead of getting to OCS should be to max out those numbers. There are programs to help you do that:

Make sure you can hit at least good-medium for your age, consistently, or you're going to have a bad time. Try for outstanding-high, but if you plateau around excellent-low you'll still have an easier time than many. If you can already hit excellent-low for your age, then we have more to discuss.