• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

DO you run every day at OCS or do change up you PT.

Do you know anyone in OCS that has shin splints and what happened to them. (I hope they didn't get dropped)

Jester

pilot
Jason,

I'm not to sure what the PT is like at Navy OCS, but at USMC OCS we ran almost every day. The only days that we wouldn't run would be on days that we had a hump or were out in the field. With regard to shin splints, they are just something your going to have to deal with if you get them. If you already run a lot you shouldn't have a problem with getting them. I didn't know of anyone that got dropped because of shin splints. There were people that got sent home because of stress fractures however. The best piece of advice I can give you is to just start running a lot before OCS. I would run at least 3 miles 4 days a week. The more you run now the less problems you'll have with injuries at OCS. Good luck.

Semper Fi,
Jester

patbrown08

You will generally PT 5 days a week. M,W,F,and Sat will be runs. Tuesday is some type of circuit training. Some weeks you will do less. These are just the scheduled PT sessions. Saturday is usually the long run, and Wed is the Navy PFT.

Dave Shutter

I don't think it can be stressed enough how important it is to run well ahead of OCS. If you're only running a couple of miles a week on a soft track then you might have some problems. You're looking at a minimum of ten miles per week at OCS, on top of being on your feet all day long, and after the first week all of it will be on asphalt (lousy asphalt at that!) If you want to do other excecises to build your cardio, fine, but your bones and joints need to be use to the physical stress of actually running. Running injuries are probably the #1 thing that get's people rolled or NPQ'd. Even the really athletic guys were in constant pain. Just a heads up.

As for knowing anyone with injuries, well we had a guy ignore the pain and run right through the whole splint/stress-fracture spectrum until his femur literally broke on a PFA run. Our class team went to bat for him to the CO, used his week 8 PFA grades, let him stay with the class and finish academics and he commisioned on crutches.

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 06/15/2002 23:42:29

RC

Although i havent been to OCS yet (im scheduled for aug 2002) i have been running at least 20 - 25 miles a week outdoors. I do lots of running and know tons about running, heart rates, injuries, training regiments, racing, etc...
If you are having a hard time with that kinda mileage outdoors per week, try to run at least 3/4 that outdoors and the other 1/4 on a treadmill. Never increase your mileage more that 10% a week. Lots of water before and after your runs. Water after your runs will save you lots of injuries. Running is something that you have to adapt to and be patient with, similar to the first week of a weight lifting routine - can be kinda painful. Most of all, get a good pair of running shoes (high end models are 80-120 bucks) you feet and knees will love you for it. Focus and be truthful to yourself, know your limits and be patient. It will come.

mattlowery

i am in Honor Class 21-02 right now, and we graduate Friday, the 21st. as for the running, it varies greatly. most weeks, you will run 4-5 days a week. there are formation runs, individual runs, PFA runs, etc.... If you get injured or get shin splints, then you should go to medical. do not put it off because as other people on this board have said, it just leads to worse problems. Ignoring things like that will keep you here much longer than the ideal 13 weeks that you are supposed to be here. always ask for ice too. ice will help a lot of problems.

i was a runner before i came to OCS, so i haven't had much of a problem with the running. actually, if anything, i would say i've gotten out of shape since i've been here compared to the shape i was in before i arrived.

take care

Matt L.

Jeff

Along the same lines of what Dave was saying. I was HONOR CLASS 13-01 and a friend of mine in my class took a spill on a run one day, and then decided to suck it up cause it was Saturday and he could rest for the weekend (Week 5 or 6 I think). Come Monday morning he couldn't walk anymore and went to Medical to find that he had a broken foot. Doc told him he probably would have been OK had he just spoken up, but it looked like the continued stress on the foot caused it to break. Never be affraid to speak up if you are having problems. Best of luck to all of you going to OCS. Trust me, its a great thirteen weeks, You'll love it...

Jason

RC 10% Huh... Thats where I guess I messed up I was adding .5 mile per week(one more lap) and went every other day to every day. All of the sudden sharp pain... However It wasn't stress fractures... bc I could jump up and down, hop and do squats with little or no pain. The pain only occurs within the first 1/10 th mile and then 10 minutes after and believe me it got bad too.

so anyways I've cutdown alot and I am working on time. I just got my mile down to 7 minutes and I've divided each 1/10 th mile into an alotted max amount of time, cutting each 1/10 th by a few seconds each week.

Oh' I've purchased in-soles to help they seem to help a little

thanks,
JASON

RC

Yeah, Speed and Distance mixed together is a bitch, even for advanced runners. I ran a 10k last week, I won my divison(25-29 yr old males) with a 33:20. Overall I felt good. My calves were a little sore but thats from the speed. No biggie. Stay at your current mileage for a couple weeks, back off the speed. Do some interval training, i.e during your runs try and add in some speed intervals of like 25-45 seconds. Eventually building more and more. Your body WILL adapt. Its good you are concerned. Stick with it but also listen to your body. Lots of times the hardest part when you are hurting is getting out the door and getting started. Use some of your runs as recovery runs - Low speed and avoid the hills. Stick to the flats on those.

Orthotics (insoles) help. Personally i dont use them. I know alot of runners that live by them. Dont mention to that you use orthotics to any of the docs though to avoid the unnecessary hassle.

When are you scheduled for OCS?

Edited by - RC on 06/16/2002 19:03:27

Jason

I should get the board results any time now. They were sent in on the 7th I think... And it appears that OCS is really backed up right now. It appears from this forum that people are going in January, March and even April. So if I continue to build legs and not over use them I should not only be good to go but maybe get some sort of PT award if they have one

Thanks
Jason

Ed Williams

A little tip for all of you. I wa sin class 01-02. We secured liberty in week 4, went out on friday night with my roomates, got plastered and had the worst hang over of my life on sat. Try to avoid that, it is not fun. We did a 5 mile run that day, usually i was one of the faster runners in my class, but i almost dropped out, it was a bad day. Have fun that first night, but use your judgement.
ed

OracleMSU

Civvy SNA Hopeful
What do you all think of the navy document detailing a pre OCS conditioning program? On the OCS website:

https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/ocs/conpro.pdf

Just curious. Was planning on trying to follow this.

-----OracleMSU--------

Ed Williams

My suggestion is to do whatever works for you., Some people train differnt ways and there is no correct way to train for ocs. As long as you are getting your milage (at least 10 per week) you should be fine. If that program works for you, great.
ed

Status
Not open for further replies.