• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS/SNA Application Q's-Im New!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamS

Hello all.
Great site here. This is my first post, and I had a few questions if you all might humor me for a while. I am currently scheduled to attend law school starting in August of this year. I am a 22 year old University of Virginia graduate with decent grades and a high LSAT score.
I have always been intrigued by flying. I would be lying if I didnt tell you that I was a bit nervous of the possible dangers, but every time I look up and see a jet fly by I get this child-like wonder. A recent trip near NAS Oceana and watching the F-18s and F-14's was an incredible eye-opener.
I have decided that I would like to submit an appliction to OCS to be an SNA. I wanted to ask a few questions about this: How do you apply specifically towards being an aviator candidate, and what is the easiest/quickest way to begin the application process?

My second question is perhaps the more important-since no spots would be open for probably close to a year, I could begin my study of law in the interim, but I would very much like to know if your application is binding once it is submitted, and if it is possible possible to return to civilian life if you agree to an OCS date and then back out.

Please forgive the indecision I may be showing. My one goal in life is to be an aviator, but I would be dishonest with myself and you all if I didnt tell you that the whole idea scared/intimidated me a little bit-thus my desire to know the binding nature of the application.

I considered finishing law school first, since I would still not have turned 26, but I thought the process might be more difficult at that point.

Any comments, advice, thoughts, answers, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a great site you have here and I hope to be able to continue to pluck your collective brains for the information I need.

Thank you.

AdamS

Thanks for the replies Mike-
Hey, I did say I wanted to be a pilot-the law school is more of a family tradition that I figured I might as well start while I wait anyways. I will go down to a recruiting office next week and get some info.

Do you know how long the application process is, and approximately how difficult it is to get in as a SNA?

Thanks for the help, and I am sure we can still be friends :)

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Everyone seems to want to know how hard it is to become a SNA. The guys on this board who are SNA's, have told me and others time and again that if you really want it you will be able to get it. Just stay fit, have decent grades, have a good moral background and you should be fine.

AdamS

If anyone is still reading this, I have a few more questions. Do you take the AVASB AND the ATSB? I did a couple sample things on the AVASB and did extremely well. I am going to buy a couple of online guides as soon as I know my new address(I am going to be moving in a few weeks)and hopefully take the test and apply in the next 6 weeks.

I have decided that I have to do this application-I have to find out if the Navy considers me good enough to be an officer and an aviator. I don't know how I can look back and be satisfied if I don't.

So, what else do I need? My grades were so-so (2.8 from the University of Virginia), but I did well on my GRE's and LSAT, and I might be able to get a few good reccomendations. Can you guys reccomend anything else at this point?

Thanks again.

JasonG

All you need, as far as exams go, is the ASTB. ASVAB is for those wanting to enlist. 2.5 GPA is min. req. for SNA applicants.

Later,
Jason

AdamS

Hey DB-
How do you find an officer recruiter? Through Navy.com? I mean I am 15 minutes from DC, how hard can it be to find someone in this area? :)

Thanks for the encouragement, I am sure I will need much more in the coming weeks/months!

USN4LIFE

Hey Adams yes you can go through the Navy web site, or I can get you a phone number for an officer recruiter in DC. Just let me know.

AdamS

You've got mail USN4Life. I am working on a practice ATSB right now-its not hard, but i havent studied some of this stuff in YEARS! :)

JTP

look in the phone book. That's how I found my recruiter. I looked in the govt pages in the back, they are usually blue.

3 more weeks and my I will be ready to submit. I'm seeing 20/16 and 20/10. PRK has been beautiful.

YEAH COME ON!!

marcb747

Adam, as far as law school is concerned, the Navy JAG Corps has a program called LEP or Law Education Program. The Navy pays for your law education and you also get your regular salary while in law school. To get accepted, you have to be in pay grades 0-1, 0-2, or 0-3, with 2 to 6 years' active duty service. You must also be able to complete 20 years of active service as a commissioned officer before your 55th birthday. The additional commitment is 2 years of service for every year of law school.

here's the link: http://www.jag.navy.mil/html/law_education.htm

I report to OCS in December on an NFO slot. Law school is definitely, my next career move after my intial NFO obligation and I plan to apply for this program. With the costs of law school, this sure is a good deal.

Just something to think about if you're still unsure of which career path to take. You're still young dude. sky's the limit!

Courtney

Just wanted to let you know that I'm in the same situation now. I'm considering doing a Masters degree so that I could play my final year of University hockey. I just don't want to miss my chance at flying for the Airforce!

ghost_ttu

Coutney, I played rugby in college, I've been asked to play now that I'm out of school but I declined. I love to play but the risk of injury is too great and it isn't worth not having a shot at flying. Just something you may want to consider.

thartley

Just wanted to let everyone know if you scored less than 1000 on your SAT's you also have to take the ASVAB to apply for OCS.

ghost_ttu

That's the first that I've heard of that. I didn't even see an area that asked for my SAT other than my transcript, and they didn't say anything to me about any of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.