• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS with pilot intentions

-ACHILLES-

I had talked to the recruiter for the USAF. From what I gathered from research online, pilot hopefuls could attend the Air Forces OTS then UPT without having a private pilots license. I talked to the recruiter today and he said that without a pilot's license or at least 50 hours logged, they won't even look at your application. Is this true for the Navy and MC as well? Or do they still do it they way the AF used to in that you don't really need much prior flight experience.

NavyLonghorn

Join the Navy.. airforce pilot training is the gayest thing ever. We are talking gayer then Tom Cruise. Mr. Cruise... come out of the closet!

S.O.B.

pilot
Do your research. Find out exactly what you’ll be doing. I found out about disassociated tours while I was in flight school. Needless to say I was surprised. Don’t get me wrong I love the Navy and it’s been great to me but when it comes to flying I would guess that over a career we do the least of all the services with the exception of the Army Officers.

Ironnads

"Join the Navy.. airforce pilot training is the gayest thing ever. We are talking gayer then Tom Cruise. Mr. Cruise... come out of the closet!"

Amen brother

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
billthrill1 said:
What are disassociated tours?

My future disassociated tour....

view_single.asp

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BigIron said:
My future disassociated tour....

view_single.asp
Ahhh yes, a shooter. I'm sure you'll take great pride in knowing you'll be one of the dirtiest guys in the wardroom. Who will be dirtier than you? Probably another shooter. Those guys always had grime coming out their ears and nose.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Ahhh yes, a shooter. I'm sure you'll take great pride in knowing you'll be one of the dirtiest guys in the wardroom. Who will be dirtier than you? Probably another shooter. Those guys always had grime coming out their ears and nose.
Why does the shooter need to be a dedicated, non-flying billet? I had imagined it was "just another JO collateral duty," but apparantly that's not the case.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
Why does the shooter need to be a dedicated, non-flying billet? I had imagined it was "just another JO collateral duty," but apparantly that's not the case.

Nope. It is listed as a LCDR job, although you start as a LT. The official title is catapult and arresting gear officer. A shooter is a division officer (leadership, paperwork, admin stuff) who works for the Air Department. The Air Department consists of V-1/V-3 flight deck/hangar bay, V-2 catapult arresting gear maintainers, and V-4 fuelies (grapes) and V-0/V-5 admin types.

Basically responsible for the maintenance of the catapults, arresting gear, Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (FLOLS) and Mobile Visual Landing Aid System (MOVLAS), Fueling evolutions,and etc.. Definitely full time employment.
On top of that, they of course supervise the hook-up and launch of all of the aircraft and all of the safety the evolution requires.

Should be a good job. I am looking foward to it, even the dirt and grime that comes with it.

photo credit USN.....sorry for the threadjack........

Attachments

• shooter.jpg
    shooter.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 54